What do you think should hold precedent, the bible or the constitution?

I think the answer should be fairly obvious but do know some feel the bible should be superior to the constitution.

I personally would never want to live in a country where a religous book or ideology holds sway over the political atmosphere. I mean My family is Iranian and they are serious muslims, when the country became an Islamic theocracy they left.

I mean if the bible permits one thing and the consitution forbids it, what are christians suppose to do?

so take the issue of slavery......Bible permits it, constitution doesn't, does that mean christians should have the right to own slaves?

Founded on the percepts of the bible? Can you please direct me to the passages that show "Pursuit of happiness, freedom of religion, and tyranny"? To my understanding they are not christian priniciples.

and I think your mistaken, I checked and there is no mention about "Angus Dei" it does say however "laus Deo" which means praise be to God, which is not christian but a thiest reference.

Leviticus 25:44-46, Exodus 21:7

Sarevok-Deuteronomy 15:12-15; Ephesians 6:9; Colossians 4:1

Favorite Answer

Many people in this country are not christian so the bible

has little appeal to them. Our constitution is based on the

bible teachings and is the law of the land. People must obey it.

Source(s): wag
  • Daniel

For the individual the Bible holds precedent over the constitution, but the Bible should not be the constitution over a nation. In instances where one's moral beliefs from scripture contradict the laws of the land one shoud put God first. Case in point was the persecution of Jews and others under Nazi Germany.

If you can show me chapter and verse where it says we should have slaves and treat them as such, I'd love to see it

Until then, the standards outlined in the constitution are loose then those as outlined by the Christian bible. For example, constitution would say something like "Have sex whenever you dam well want, except if one or both party's are no consenting, and you are both of legal age", the bible however "Do not have sex before marriage".

The Bible is the first, and the final authority on all matters.

" The grass withers, the flower fades, but the Word of God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.2Corinthians 4:18

This country was founded on the precepts of the Bible.The Word of God was so revered and respected, the cap piece of the Washington Monument is inscribed with "Agnus Dei" which translated, means Lamb of God.

we follow the word of God willingly

for christians the bible is the most important thing. However we can not force people who do not want to follow God to follow the bible.

for s secular society the constitution should rule.

People are to follow god and his commands willingly not because they are forced to.

Constitution.

I believe in the constitution should hold precedent but unfortunately we live in a country where the bible sways certain decisions. I.E. gay marriage. Everyones defense is the bible is against it but that shouldn't matter when it comes to the law.

Everyone knows what the better of the two are. And, no one cares about either one.

"render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's".

When and if the two conflict.............serve God. We will be in 'eternity' far longer than we will be in a 'state','kingdom' or 'nation'.