Cooling system for an '88 Honda Civic?

The cooling system in my Honda has been acting up badly. I've already had to replace the radiator (it had a gaping hole in it) and the thermostat (it was sticking). And it's still overheating. So all that is left is the water pump. But i know that in order to replace the water pump, its advisable to replace the timing belt. If there are no obvious holes in the hoses, should i replace those too? Someone help!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

just change the pump

• 1 decade ago

The water pump is driven by the timing belt so while a mechanic has the timing belt off to replace the water pump it would be a good idea to put on a new belt instead of putting the old one back on. Also you might want to change your cam seals too while you are in there.

The only way a water pump can go out is if the seal is worn and starts leaking coolant out from the side of the engine. If there is no coolant leaks at all on the ground then you are fine. Another way to see if the water pump has fail is open your radiator cap ( when the car has been sitting and its cold ) and start it, while in neutral or park give it some gas, the coolant should kind of shoot out of the radiator, if that happens it tells you the water pump is good.

If you have done all that and its still overheating then you probably have a blown head gasket. You could take it to a Honda shop and have them check for hydro carbons from the radiator, it will either rule out blown head gasket or point to it as the culprit.

The last option, take it to a Honda Dealership and have them diagnose the problem.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.