DannyB asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

Why isn't my camera memory card not working?

I use a Kingston 2GB memory card and have been using it for a very long time, and have not had any problems... until now. This is the routine: I take pictures, take out the SD card, put it in the SD card slot on my computer desktop, and copy the files from the card onto my computer. I've done this numerous times, and had no problems.

I put the SD card slot into the slot, and clicked on this pop-up to review my pictures. I opened up the folder, and clicked over the photos, except only some of the photos were showing. Midway, the photos showed up empty, the file goes "Not Responding" when I click on it. Does anyone know why all of a sudden my SD card's doing this? The pictures that I took were very important, so it would be bad if they didn't save properly... Is this a fixable problem, or is my memory card officially dead?

Woops! Just saw the double negative in my question.. Meant to say "Why isn't my camera memory card working?" haha

It's only a few months old, and I'm fine with buying a new memory card. It's just the pictures. They're very important to me. Any way to get them back?

Favorite Answer

Try rubbing an eraser over the metal connectors on your SD card. That should remove the dirt and give you a better connection so you can read the contents of the SD card.

Check the company for a driver for your memory card. I have this problem every time I use a SD HC card. Remember, SD and SD HC are different types of memory cards so if your reader cannot support SD HC cards, I would suggest getting a card reader that does.

Also try use a USB Cable. Most likely chances are that your camera came with software and a USB cable. On most digital cameras, you can use the USB cable to transfer pictures using the software that came with it.

The way I fix the problem is I leave the card in there until the contents pop up. Another way that I fix the problem is tricking the memory card reader by inserting just a regular SD card and opening it and pulling it out and inserting the SD HC card and read it there.

If you do not have an SD HC card and are using an SD card, then your memory card reader probably is broken. The contacts could also be dirty so try inserting the card and reinserting it multiple times. Also try formatting the card when you transfer your pictures to avoid this problem in the future.

First try the SD card on another computer or at a retail store photo dept. computer kiosk--just to see if the problem recurs. If it doesn't, then I'd try to burn the material on CD and look to retrieve the pictures from there....for now.

Next, break out the trusty camera instruction manual. Find the section about FORMATTING SD cards---and follow the instructions. Note: You will lose any images left on the card, but that's OK---given we burned them on CD.

This might solve the problem---and save you some money having to purchase another SD card.

Well, you card might be dead. If you can't get it to work like all the other times maybe it's time to get a new card. Then test out the new card to see if it works, if it does then the card was the problem if not then maybe there is something wrong with your camera

Hi,

It may be damaged so you should it check out that is it working or not to the connect with other camera.

Thanks

Jitan

how old is it #1

#2 get a new one. =P their cheap. only 200 COMMON! =D get a new one!!

have you tried reformaing the card?

. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`