Nicole asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Should I bring my co-worker's salary up with my boss?

I work on the web team at the corporate headquarters of an international company. We just added another web designer to our team who was a bit under-qualified for the position but has a lot of potential and great attitude. Currently he is my equal on my team, but I've been informally promoted to manager (to be made formal later this fall, at the earliest). My boss forwarded me the hire confirmation for our new guy and he mistakenly left the salary info on it. Our new hire's starting salary is $10,000 higher (about 15%) than my original starting salary (one year ago), and $5,000 higher than my current. It is no secret among our team that our new guy's skill set is below the rest of ours yet he is being paid the most. I can assume that I'll be getting another pay bump once I'm officially a manager, but I do not know how much or when that will be happening. I'm really not okay with him being paid more than myself and the other more experienced/skilled members of my team, especially by that much. How/should I bring this up with my boss? Or should I just wait and see what my manager's raise is going to be?

Favorite Answer

It happens all the time but usually we don't know what our coworkers make. It's known that you make more money by changing job because you can ask for thousands more from the new job then by staying with the same job and accepting the measly annual raises. It is not at all out of the norm for a new hiree to be making more money then anyone except for the big bosses. But since your boss was so lax about leaving the new guy's salary on the confirmation, you can use that. Don't fight for the rest of your coworkers, they need to do their own battles. But even now ask your boss what your new income will be once your management position is official, mention that you know the new hiree makes $5K more than you do now so you expect your new income will be higher than that. Don't wait. They budget for things and you don't want to find they didn't budget enough for your expectations. It also shows your initiative and gumption. Make a copy of the confirmation containing the hiree's pay amounts, keep the original for yourself but if need be, you can show the copy if they ask how you know this info. This is how business is done and a man wouldn't be considering anything else but using it to his own benefit. You're going to be a manager so will know what your subordinates make anyway eventually so that's not the big issue. And you need to be assertive enough to bring it up and look out for your own interests; a secure boss will admire that.

That is completely unacceptable that he gets higher pay than you did...and higher than you currently get.

I would not wait till the 'official' pay raise since that does not deal with the current pay problem at all.

I would 'tactfully' bring it up to your boss and let him show you how much he thinks you are worth to the company. If he does not get you higher pay right away (obviously when you get officially promoted your pay should go up again at that time also) then I would suggest quietly looking for another job that is willing to treat you like a valued employee...not just a worker.

I had the same problem years ago, boss (who was not well liked by anyone) tried to bully me into just accepting things the way they were...so I quietly searched, a friend told me of an opening in the company he worked for, and I jumped ship...more money, better benefits, a good boss, and alot less stress.

Hope things go well for you whatever you decide.

Do not mention your coworkers salary. Its tacky and unprofessional.

Don't whine about how underqualified this guy is either. Its in poor taste.

Instead set up a time to discuss a raise. You can do this without mentioning your coworker at all. If you are as good of an employee as you claim to be, you should get the raise without a problem. If not start looking for another job that WILL pay you what you derserve. Who knows, once your employer gets wind that you are entertaining other offers, you may just get that raise after all.

Too many people just sit around waiting for a raise, assuming that they will get it because they deserve it, or because of seniority. They truth is most people who get raises do so because they asked. Being a wall flower waiting to get what you think is due you helps no one. That is the one of the main reasons women earn .70 on the dollar. Men are more likely to ask for a raise than women are.

As far as your coworker, don't get angry at him because he makes more money than you do. Maybe you are the more competent and experienced employee, but he is obviously the better negotiator.

Good luck.

• Friend

Tell your boss that he mistakenly left the salary info on the confirmation and that he should be more careful in the future.

Don't make an issue about the new guy's salary. I know it would bother me too but your boss is not allowed to discuss an employee's salary with another employee. I'm sure there are reasons for it which your boss has worked out between himself and this guy.

• Lyne

It's not a good idea to bring that up. My dad runs a couple companies... People get FIRED over disputes like this. Salaries are supposed to remain secret so this does not happen.

If the cat is out of the bag, they could begin to see you as a liability. Even if they don't fire you, they might just have it in for you and treat you differently.

yes,in that case youshld ask your boss in a nice way why is this happening as if you do not ask, there is no justification and you will spend most of the time thinking abt this qn.

t

This happens in big business. I would not say anything. it is not up to you what he makes. It is up to corporate. So best leave it alone.

• Barb

YES! It is law that you get the same pay. You can be compensated.