My brother is on my nerves and im worried that he'll...?

My brother is a very begginer rider and in-experienced. He has decided a couple of times he'll ride my two year old + filly that's in training and has progressed so far and won't even mention it to me so i can be out there helping him or making sure he dosn't do anything stupid. I'm worried that he's gonna mess her up. Like holding the reins to tight and making her throw up her head , pulling on both sides of the reins and confusing her and stuff like that. And he does NOT have a gentle hand. Considering that im using a twisted snaffle grade 3 or 4.

Which he can really be tearing her mouth up.

Today he's gone way to far.

I told him that he can't ride Daisy (the filly) unless i was out there (acorse my one of my parents are always out there when i ride pulling weeds working in the garden or watering.). Well he totally ignored me about that part. So i was sleeping until it was cool enough to ride around 7:30 or 8 o' clock p.m. (over slept..lol) and my brother came in there and woke me saying he rode Daisy in the trails/ woods across the road. Almost dark,the time where coyotes and bobcats tend to come out. I said what are you thinking idiot. And blah blah. He said chill out. He said she was bucking and what not. She's never bucked with me on her , even when i introduced the saddle and riding. That's what set me off. And had me wondering what is he doing to make her go off and if this can ruin her so great of progress she's acomplished.

Please help! I would love to help him learn to ride just not on a young broke horse. (yes she's broke, she has the simple and now she's being trained for the desiciplins of my choice.) So is my brother gonna mess her up or will she be fine. I honestly think she's gonna get messed up if my brother countinues to do this.

Help!

My turtle rock- you dont need to be so rude. this aint the first horse i've trained and my parents are out there so if i do get hurt, they can hear me. so don't go picking at stuff that you dont have enough info on.

Favorite Answer

Hmm, maybe get your parents it on it - you said they were there when you ride, so they must understand about young horses having the potential do be dangerous - not saying yours is, but they're young and can get scared easily - so maybe they can talk to him.

If that doesn't work, maybe you can keep all your horseriding gear in the car and keep they carkeys on you so he can't get any of the gear to ride her? i know that's a pain, but it might work.

maybe, you could bargain with him to get him a few more lessons , or you could give him lessons on her on a kunge rein - without reins so he won't have his hands on her mouth - which will be better for his balance and you can watchi him ride, and he's not hanging on her mouth?

Another alternative is to find another horse - if you can afford one - or borrow one from someone so you can ride trails together?

but boys are boys and there's only so much that they'll listen to - hopefully he'll work out he like motorbikes better and will leave your beautiful girl alone... :D

first, Neither of you have any business on the back of a horse that is only 2 years and change. Your going to ruin her knees and tendons even simple walking with your weight can do that much less training for the discipline of your choice.

Second.. what in gods name are you thinking with a twisted snaffle in a green horses mouth? Harsh bits in training no matter if the riders hands are gentle does not make for a soft responsive horse latter. All it creates is a horse that is perpetually behind the bit and afraid to take it.

Third, and I'll stop before this becomes a rant about the stupidity of young people trying to train horses without adaquate supervision (pulling weeds and gardening isn't supervision) Its looking alot like your trying set your brother up to take the blame for any problems you have with this filly in the future. go ride a older horse and leave that girl alone till she is mature and ready, atleast 3 years old and get rid of that snaffle.

Source(s): old time horse woman and just plain good old common sense

First thing is he isn't ready for a 2 year old. Have you explained to him that there is a complete difference between riding a 2 year old and riding a older horse.

I'd get your parents involved this is a dangerous situation. Tell them what is going on.

A possible solution is one day after the filly is working really good, after a hard work session where she's tired, have him on but only you lead the filly around.

Obviously your brother doesn't understand how volatile a young horse can be. Try talking to him once more and really press the point that shes your project and is extremely important to you.

But, boys will be boys and when they set their mind to something can be extremely stubborn. So, if you are genuinely worried about the safety of your brother and your filly and believe he won't respect your wishes than be just as immature as he is. Hide the bridle. (Or something along those lines.) Put a critical piece of tack in a secure place where only you can find or somewhere where you will hear/see it if he tries to move it.

Obviously hiding tack is not a great solution and definitely not a long term solution however using such drastic measures might help your brother realize how important the filly and her training are to you.

Hope this helps :)

Your right. In the first place- if you are training her and she is your horse- he has no right to go on her- Safety is a completely different level! Maybe if you show him how uncontrollable she can be when she wants he may go off wanting to ride her whilst your not around. If she where mine- i would be Really annoyed. If your spending your summer trying to train her- and he is confusing her and being harsh, she may very well, end up unsuitable to ride. If you make a deal with him- say you will lunge him once a week on her, if he promises not to go out riding without you. But i can also see why he thinks he is Invincible at the moment- I thought i was a fantastic rider- But everyone has flaws.

Do you have any other horses that he could ride?

Maybe you could discuss with your parents a way to get him not to rider her anymore.

I know it will be hard to tell him, but he really shouldn't ride her. He WILL ruin that horse. He needs to be told that he cant ride her anymore.

Break it to him nicely somehow, so it doesn't blow up into a fight. Good luck, I know it will be hard but its what is best for him and for the horse.

You brother wont mess her up! Just they will teach each other a few bad! habits!

Which can be very hard to change!

Maybe get him a All rounder Or Lunge him on her. And when you see A BAD Habit tell him, then he will be fine and the horse should follow really.

Also if you get a novice like your brother on her, It will be teaching her respect to.

(: Sound like my brother lol he rode my unbroken 15hh cob. straight from the field bareback! he didnt ride again lol.

But maybe he needs a little 'accident' like faling of not hard so that he will learn there not like a dog

Source(s): Just if it gets too dangerous then dont let him ride her.
  • Driver

First, lock away your saddle and bridle where he can't get it, then talk to your parents about not allowing him to ride her without you there to supervise. You sound like the only one in your family with any sense.

First, I would ***** slap him.

Second, you need to tell your parents, and your trainer if you have one. That's seriously messed up and your brother sounds like an idiot and I would do anything I could to keep him away from her.

I would have ******* shot him in the foot.

He's gonna ruin her! Tell your parents!