Can black mold cause or make Multiple Sclerosis worse?

My mother was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis recently and we just found black mold in our apartment after the ceiling fell in. I want to know if the mold could have caused or contributed to the worsening of her M.S. I also would like to know if we need to leave the apartment. My nose has been burning since the ceiling fell in and I was fine once we left the house. My dad has cold like symptoms, and has been coughing. I am very worried. Please help!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Elias
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Hi UT, Toxic mold stachybotrys (which is the kind that grows inbetween walls with a water source/leak which sounds like your problem) is a neuro toxin which means absolutely it can have a direct effect on MS because it also can have devastating effects on your central nervous system. Yes oyu should leave the house immediately. it is an emergency situation esp since your mother has MS. I was exposed to stachy, caused my brain to swell, suffered brain damage, couldnt really talk for a year, lost all my strength and muscle and energy. Finally 5 years later after loads of meds im barely getting back on my feet. Toxic mold is called toxic for a reason, trust me toxic is not a strong enough word. Also check with a Doctor that has experience in treating toxic mold expsoure as most Docs dont because im feeling your mother might need some anti fungal meds asap. God Bless you guys! Below is some video of people that have been exposed to toxic mold. watch the one that starts automatically first

    Source(s): www.myspace.com/photoguys2003
  • 1 decade ago

    Mold is not related to Multiple Sclerosis, but mold can be very harmful and unhealthy. If I were you, I'd definitely get everyone out of the apartment until the problem has been taken care of.

    Source(s): Diagnosed with MS in 2003
  • Jaime
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

    Pork links to disease and is bad for you. First of all , they dont have sweat glands, so all their filth and perspiration is absorbed into their flesh, and you can imagine how disgusting that is. Secondly, in order to make up for the lack of a sweat gland, they wallow in mud all the time and can pick up a great many diseases along the way, and are not generally washed before being killed. Thirdly, they contain all types of bacteria in their bodies that are harmful to human beings, so that unless one cooks it thoroughly and takes all manners of precautions, it will give you some bacteria or virus that is not good for you Its funny how Trooper says "God" says eating pork is not bad for you when it says so in his own Bible Deuteronomy 14:8 "The pig is also unclean; although it has a split hoof, it does not chew the cud. You are not to eat their meat or touch their carcasses." Leviticus 11.7: "And the swine, because he parteth the hoof, and is cloven-footed, but cheweth not the cud, he is unclean unto you" Did God make a mistake? Or is that just another contradiction in The Bible?

  • 1 decade ago

    Black mold has nothing to do with M.S., however, the flu has nothing to do with M.S.

    However, what these two things can do is make the immune system work and hence cause a relapse. So, yes, move out.

    Furthermore, ask your mother's doctor.

    Source(s): Have M.S.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lc
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    I agree with the above answer...I also have MS and have never heard of any connection between black mold and MS, but the mold is dangerous...have you notified your landlord of this? By law you are required to do so and they are required to clean it up.

    Source(s): Dxd with MS in 2006 Apartment manager in California for 10 years
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.