Me. asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

What would be a good monologue for an audition for Alice in Wonderland?

It has to be a comedic monologue and I imagine about a minute or two in length. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Favorite Answer

Recite the Gettysburg Address dressed in a tutu and swinging a bloody axe

I must say, finding monologues isn't ever particularly simple. and I hate it when people tell you to google it or something like that.

you could do one from the show, although that isn't really preferred. there is one from the show in the book great scenes and monologues for children ages 7-14.

for me, the monologue I do usually reflects the character I want, so if you told me that I would be able to help more.

but without that, some suggestions are, either Amy monologue from little women in the book I suggested earlier. that's from a similar time period, and she is kind of like alice if that's the role you are going for.

there;s one from thoroughly modern millie :

Millie: (use this monologue also for Priscilla House girls, Ruth, Gloria, Rita, Alice, Cora, Lucille, Ethel)

Hey, I’m broke, not poor. There a big difference. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. I have a plan so far ahead of its time it’s almost too bold, too daring, too new woman! I’m going to marry my boss. I don’t know when. As a matter of fact, I haven’t got one yet. Love has nothing to do with it! Don’t you read Vogue? This month’s issue clearly states that modern marriage is a business arrangement. Love comes later, occasionally with the man you’re actually married to. I’m looking for him in the classifieds. I’ve been interviewing boss after boss, but so far, married, married, engaged, married, single-and-I-can-see-why… I even read in the tabloids “Manhattan’s most eligible bachelors, the movers and shakers that make Manhattan tick!” ... all of them need wives... and at least one of them must need a stenog!

here's my personal favorite, more modern

Casting Call

By: Kelly Campbell

(Sarcastic) The list will be posted today they said. After second period, they said. Obviously some one has no sense of time. (Pacing back and forth) how can they do this to a person? It's not humane; its cruel and unusual punishment. Some one should tell them that they are going against the constitution! (Calming self) it's ok Erica. Don't get worked up over it. Its just one little play, there will be more its no big deal if I don't get in, it really isn't. (Pause) What if I didn't get it! What would I do? I wand to get into this play more than anything right now. (Pause) But what if I did get in? What if I got the lead part? I have never had a lead part before. I never thought that I would be this nervous. I promised myself that I wouldn't be, but I am. I really, really am! (Pause, looking around) More people are coming for the same reason I did. They are all waiting for the casting list to be posted. They look so confident. There is Josh. Man, he was good, he is sure to get the male lead. And Susan, I could never be compared to her. She was amazing on stage; Mr. Barley loved her. She was radiant, like she was put on this earth to play the female lead. Then there was me. I stood one stage, my hands shook, my voice quaked, I was horrible. (Laughs to self and starts to walk away) What was I thinking. I will never get a part in a single play on campus. I'm not as good as any of the people here. The best I could ever get is maybe a rock, if I'm lucky that is. (Pause) why do I do this? Why do I build up my hopes like this when I never have a chance? I might as well just forget about it, I don't want to hurt by self-esteem any more than I already have. (Walks away then stops abruptly and looks back, something has caught her eye) Mr. Barley just stepped out the door with something in his hand. (Gasping) It's the list! (Starts walking towards the list, then pauses) so, now I must decide, do I care? (Pause) Yes I do! (Walks over, runs finger down the list. Pauses when finder is low down the list.) It says my name! It actually says my name! What am I? (Looks back at the list then laughs to self) Well, its better than the rock. Erica Beth Marsely will be playing the tree in this year's performance.

you're best bet would probably be to get a monologue book, but one of these might work.

break a leg!

How about the Jabberwocky

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought—

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

.

This is the site I use for music and monolouges

http://www.musicaltheatreaudition.com/joomla/conte...

Doesn't have everything, but it's a good place to start looking.

Good luck!

http://www.monologuearchive.com/comic_women.html

enjoy; it's the bono of the monologue world