ishan asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

What is the average salary for a commercial pilot a year?

I really want to become a pilot, but i am not familiar with the income of a pilot. What is the salary for a pilot, co-pilot, and an cabin crew?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Seniority and flight hours are the key to decent pay regardless of which commercial flight career you go into. I can tell you from my field of flying that after 5 or so years of building time, staying patient and otherwise "paying your dues" by flying piston pounders, an aerial applicator flying an AT502 or similar turbine powered aircraft can gross anywhere from $80,000 to $150,000 for 5 or 6 months of work, obviously dependent on weather conditions and other production factors. This line of work is not for everyone, otherwise everyone would be doing it. If you want more info, go to the National Aerial Applicator Association website, and click on the careers tab for more info.

Source(s): Professional aerial applicator
  • 1 decade ago

Most commercial pilots are not airline pilots. A new commercial pilot usually does mostly instructing, which pays around $12 to $15 per hour, with no set number of hours. A good instructor who gives instruction on a regular basis can make about $15,000 to $18,000, or just above the federal poverty level.

Other commercial pilots start out making similar hourly rates for various odd jobs: charter, pipeline/power line patrol, banner towing, ferry flying, and so on. The annual earnings will depend on how much you get to fly.

When a pilot transitions to a regional airline, the salary is similar; for example, a typical regional airline CFO earns $16,000 to $18,000. From there on up it's a matter of seniority and opportunity. In the good old days, an overseas captain could earn more than $200,000 with some nice benefits.

The airlines find it harder and harder to find the money to pay salaries of that magnitude, so as the "ancient pelicans" retire, they are promoting captains at lower salaries. Sorry, but the popular notion that airline crews make big bucks is pretty much a thing of the past.

If you really want to make some good money, go into management or finance. If you want to fly, fly.

Good luck

Source(s): retired airline captain
  • 5 years ago

The average salary depends on your employer. While a SAAB pilot is commercial, so is a B-777 pilot. At a commuter airline, depending on if you're an FO or Captain, you can AVERAGE anywhere from about $15,000 to $45,000. Flying for a legacy carrier an FO averages about $85,000 and a Captain about $145,000. There are other issues to include, such as work rules, job security, and time away from home, to decide if this is a career for you.

• 1 decade ago

$30,000 per year

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

www.willflyforfood.com

Source(s): woo-hoo, 2 points
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.