Did Mary raise Jesus alone?

I am doing a devotional and the book mentioned about the absence of Joseph during Jesus adult life, which may suggest that Mary may have raised Him and His siblings alone. What is your take on this?

• slcbtf
    Favorite Answer

It does mention that Joseph was there when he was 12. Do you remember the account when Jesus talked to the priests at the temple? Joseph was there for that. Joseph was also there when they went to Egypt in hiding,

It is assumed that Joseph passed away. Thus Jesus instructed another to care for His mother. I don't think there is any real clue as to when or how it happened beyond speculations.

It's interesting how I asked the same question a couple days ago. Here is the answer I got after i did a little research. No where in the bible does it say that Joseph died but it also doesn't mention him being around. So most likely he passed away before Jesus passed away.

• Moi

We know that Joseph was still alive around Jesus' early adolescence but by the time of the cross Joseph had died. That's about as specific as scripture gets. Jesus apparently did not require much raising by anyone. His Father in heaven prepared Him for what was to come.

• Lowly

Joseph was there when it counted. There are some accounts of this life out there..some are fictional, of course. Anne Rice, surprisingly, wrote an account of this life. You may want to check it out.

I would not believe everything you hear about the holy family. Some will make them too good to be true, and some will not give you the whole story...if it could be known. Joseph was probably not around at the time of Jesus' crucificixion.

Shalom !

There is a story in Luke about Jesus when He was about 12 that mentions Joseph. After that, he is never mentioned. The most likely reason for his absence, in my opinion, is that he died. We have no idea how old he was when he married Mary, and it was not uncommon for girls to marry a man who was much older than her in Biblical times.

The story is Luke 2:41-52.

• ?

It takes the whole village to raise a child.

She had Joseph. Jesus was her only child.

Source(s): Catholic

no Mary not raise Jesus alone the angel told Joshia take care of your wife and help her raise the child

• Ernie

He does fade out after their return from Egypt. You might be right, when the bible gets silent, it seems he is gone.

only if you like cheese.