What kind of death of a friend easier to bear?

Is it easier to bear when someone close to you dies by suicide or due to natural causes?

Favorite Answer

Definitely due to natural causes. It's easier if the death is impeding (not sudden), because you have time to reconcile any issues, even if their are a lot of tears.

With a suicide, there are always the unanswered questions: could I have helped, was it partially my fault, why, did he/she know how much I loved him/her, did he/she really not care that much about me (to leave me and no goodbye), is he in hell right now, etc. These issues left unresolved can be more of a sharp pain for years to come and can even overshadow the happy memories.

It can be equally hard to bear either way . Death is a permanent loss and takes time to wear off, however a violent or sudden death may be more shocking than natural death.