Is child support affected if the custodial parent is no longer working outside the home?

example:

both parents (never married) are working when child support is awarded. Years later the custodial parent is remarried and not working outside the home.

What effect does this have on the support calculation?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It doesn't. The non custodial parent pays support based on their income only.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes it is affected because my husband has two children from two casual relationships, both mothers are now married and not working, child support is significantly higher than it would be if they were working. This i don't think is fair...personally, it will make it hard for the bio father to support a new family and you get to play house with your new husband. Not trying to be bean just frank.

Your husband obviously works and makes enough income for you to stay home, don't raise the child support. My husband's 'ex's' have new cars, coach purses and I phones and stick their kids in daycare while they sit at home all day....

On another note if he was paying child support plus expensive daycare it may actually go down for him now that he's not obligated to pay child care.

Best is to go to the alllaw.com child support calculator and pick your state and go from there.

• 1 decade ago

The parent paying the child support is all that matters. It's based of income earnings. Hopefully the child support is fair and not way out of control like most cases.

• Jack P
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The child support is based on the person's actual earnings, OR the person's earning capacity (i.e. what they could be earning if working to their skill level, full-time), whichever is higher. It won't be changed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

check with your lawyer, I do think that it changes

• Kris
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

None.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.