Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What do you think the impact will be of Mccain voting NO on Sotomayor?

None? or will he be hurt slightly in Arizona?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

None. She will still be seated and McCain will not be affected.

• 1 decade ago

The Republican Hispanics of Arizona may be less likely to vote for him. That's probably not a huge group, but I know (at least to the Hispanics I know who supported Sotomayor) this was a big and historic event and him voting against her is hurtful. I think it might hurt him a bit

• 1 decade ago

It would be really sad if this has an impact, since it will only display that people are driven by race.

McCain voted against Sotomayor because she is a very extreme judicial activist, which goes against his beliefs on how the Constitution should be upheld.

Remember, McCain supported Ginsberg (Clinton's nomination).

• 1 decade ago

Maybe... Haven't seen the size of the hispanic voting block in arizona. But, he might gain a few points too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He'll lose some support Arizona. Things were dicey for him there already though. He alienated a lot of his supporters with his pandering to the far right during the campaign.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think he is going to hurt in Arizona for more than just Soto.

Have you seen some of the crap he's been pulling? Even Rep's want to steer clear of him.

• 1 decade ago

None. The belief that somehow supporting an Hispanic will cause Liberal Hispanics to like you is a fallacy. Voting against her will cause Conservative Hispanics to like you more.

• 1 decade ago

Voting on principal is always the best way to go...too bad he didn't do that on 90% of his votes.

• 1 decade ago

He lives in Arizona which is heavily populated by Hispanics and he's up for reelection...it will hurt him, no doubt about it.

His opponents will hammer him with that...

• 1 decade ago

As much as an ant cannonballing in an ocean.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.