Harriet Y asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Please help me im angry and upset with my self because of it now!?

Im 13 and i have been getting thread worms. i have tryed two different medications to get them away it works but then they come back after a few month! how do i stop this!? Im sick of it. i dont want to have to tell my mam again, i know there is some medication in the cabnet should i just take it without her. i feel ashamed to tell her again..... please help!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

well, first, you should know that if you keep yourself very clean, it will be harder for the thread worms to survive or infect you to begin with. So, wash your hands alot, especially before you eat, and whenever you touch anything that might not be really clean. Keep your fingernails short, and don't bite them. Wear clean clothes every day, especially your underwear--change it every day! And make sure you have a clean bed with clean sheets and blankets. Your sheets should be washed about 2 times a week.

If you are very clean, it will help kill the eggs.

Now, about the medicine, you should Talk to Your Mom. If you take to much medicine, because you don't know, the medicine could hurt you more than the thread worms. Usually you take one pill every 2 weeks for thread worms. If you live with a big family, everybody should take one pill, because other people might have thread worms or eggs in their bodies and not know it.

So, talk to your mom, and....

don't be angry and upset with yourself, why should you be? Plus, most kids have had thread worms at some time in their life, probably about 3/4 or 75%--you're definitely not alone.

Best wishes, n get well soon :-)

Source(s): I'm a physicians assistant
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There may not be many external symptoms to indicate that you have a threadworm infestation so it may go undetected. Common signs include an intense itchy feeling around the anus, usually at night or early in the morning. Such itching could, however, also be caused by haemorrhoids, a reaction to underclothes, perianal eczema, and pruritus ani. Other symptoms of a threadworm infestation include restless sleep, irritability, grinding your teeth in your sleep, or a loss of appetite. In rare cases slight stomach pains associated with gastrointestinal upsets may be experienced. Threadworms do not cause illness but they can cause urinary tract infections. You may notice a child who previously did not have a problem starts wetting the bed. Remember that many people with threadworms do not have any symptoms at all.

More definitive proof of a threadworm infection requires some investigation. One method is to look to see if any worms are visible on the surface of faeces after a bowel motion. Any worms will resemble small, moving pieces of fine white cotton thread. This type of investigation may not be that successful and even a proper stool examination only has about a 20% detection rate.

Another method entails trying to observe the worms while they are moving around at night. If you suspect that your child has worms then you can use a torch and check for them. This is probably best done in the morning as soon as the child wakes up. The worms themselves will be visible to the naked eye. They will "glow" under the torchlight.

Another possible method of diagnosis is to look for the threadworm's eggs deposited around the anus on the perianal skin. They are best detected at night and look like small white specks. Alternatively, you could try to spot the eggs of the threadworm using the "adhesive tape test". This should take place in the morning before bathing or going to the toilet. Apply a piece of double-sided cellophane tape to a wooden stick. If you use a piece of single-sided tape then ensure that the sticky side of the tape faces out. Your local chemist should be able to provide you with some hypo-allergenic tape if you require it. Press the tape against the anus and remove it. Any threadworm eggs will appear as tiny white marks on the tape. If you are unsure about this sort of test you could make an early morning appointment with your doctor and they can organise a laboratory-based test for you or they may be able to diagnose the infection based on the symptoms alone.

Related to these symptoms, scratching the perianal skin to relieve the itching can lead to a secondary bacterial infection of the region which worsens the condition if the skin becomes inflamed or broken. In rare cases girls and women may develop vulvovaginitis as the result of a threadworm infestation that is left untreated. This is where the "abnormal migration" of a threadworm takes it into the vagina causing inflammation of the vagina region, irritation, and vaginal discharge. This is actually a sign of the body's defences attacking the intruder. Other than the discomfort that this causes it is not much of a health risk as the threadworm will only be able to survive in this region for a limited time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.