1. why are all 8 planets round in shape?

2. why is that mercury and venus has no moon?

3. why does the number of moon increases with each planet as the distance from the sun increases?

4. why is that some planets have boulder shaped moon and not round shaped like our moon?

5.is soil present on all the planets?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1, its the way gravity pulls things together, the more mass in the center the more it pulls things out evenly, they are not perfectly round, surfaces are jagged, gas simply gives it a round look.

2 hard to tell, luck of the draw? with how close they are to the sun they need to orbit much faster to sustain orbit, with how close they are to the sun gravity would incrase exponentially when the moon was in the part of its orbit where it came closest to teh sun it would have more force towrads the sun than the planet. Its hard to sustain a moon orbit when there is a massive gravity sucker right beside you

3 moons increase with size and gravitational pull not with distance.

4, because astroids that are big enough that orbit a planet are stil classified as moons even though they are just big rocks.

5, organic soil is obviously not, small grains of rock and differant elemants do exhist but would probably be refferd to as sand. jupiter and saturn are just a hell of a lot of gas. TO THE FOOL WHO WROTE AFTER ME? LOL 7 PLANETS AFTER THE REMOVAL OF PLUTO? u on crack boy? its 8 after pluto?

heres ur grd 1 lssn, mercury, venus, earth, mars,jupiter , saturn, neptune, uranus and the one we all love who used to be number 9- pluto

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's believed by some astronomers that the moons were created by impacts from large meteorites early on in the planet's history. If so, then the sun's gravitational pull may have pulled those meteors away from the planets and into the sun before they were able to collide. Other than that, it could just be coincidence.

The gravitational pull of the sun could be enough to keep the planets in orbit but not to over power a meteor impact with the outer planets. Additionally, a meteor would probably come into contact with the outer planets first anyway, so they would get hit more often.

Perhaps the boulder shaped moons haven't been changed by gravitational pull as much as the other moons have been.

To be a planet by definition, it has to have a solid land surface of some sort. Some of that would be some kind of soil even if it's rocky grains like our moon has. Jupiter, for instance is a gas giant like some of the other outer planets. However, it still has a solid surface as evidenced by the meteorite impact that was caught by the spacecraft Gallelio. Without a hard surface to crash into, the meteor would've gone all the way through the planet and out the other side. Additionally, plumes of debris could also be seen rising out of the upper gas layer. This also proves that Jupiter has a solid surface somewhere under all of those clouds.

Ed

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

1 - Gravity keep trying to exert a uniform pull on a body, which squishes down big lumps to fill in gaps and valleys.

2 - The proximity to the Sun does not allow for those planets to 'capture' a moon.

3 - The further from the Sun, the fewer other planets around, and the easier it is to capture small bodies going by.

4 - The boulder shaped moons are all smaller, with less internal gravity.

5 - No. The largest four planets are called gas giants. Their atmospheres are incredibly thick, and as you go further down it just gets thicker and thicker, until at some point it is too thick to do anything.

• Waheed
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

1. why are all 8 planets round in shape?

Probably this planets when detached from of the Sun, were in gaseous to molten state, Due to its own gravitational force they took round shape.

2. why is that mercury and venus has no moon?

The mercury and venus must have been detached from polar portion of the sun, where angular velocity is less. Throwing this planets, not so far from the sun due to centrifugal force, at the same time having less Kinetic energy, their own angular velocity is less around their own axis, and could not detach any big chunk from it self, which could have formed a moon.

4. why is that some planets have boulder shaped moon and not round shaped like our moon?

Whenever the material detached from the planet was in solid state, it has retained its original shape of irregular boulder. When it was detached in gaseous or molten state, it took rounded shape.

5.is soil present on all the planets?

Well all the materials for all the planets, comes from the Sun, Our soil must present entire range of atoms, present on any of the planets.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Well now there is some phenomenom where Pluto isn't a planet anymore and we only have eight planets, so if pregnancy downgrades a month then yeah, perhaps a link? But I doubt it. My neighbor just had her baby at nine months so I'm thinking, it's a pretty good chance it'll always be nine months. Plus, think of the planets we haven't discovered yet.

• 1 decade ago

They are round because gravity will natural cause them to be roundish.

They are too close to the sun where the sun would take the "moon" form the planet

It doesn't, Jupiter has the most moons in the solar system and it is not the farthest planet.

Could be trapped asteroids

nope Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are gas giants.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

TJ's right, although moons are boulder shaped and not round because they get hit a lot more by big meteors (although I don't know if meteors is the right term, but you know what I mean), which take off chunks and leave craters.

• 1 decade ago

1.Gravity

2.Gravity

3.Gravity

4.Gravity

5. no

and Pluto isnt a planet anymore so there r 7

Source(s): ME my self and i
  • 1 decade ago

1. gravity

2. gravity

3. gravity

4. centripital force (gravity)

5. no, some of the planets are gas planets

• 1 decade ago

number 3 is wrong,

and what do you mean all 8? there are 10 others

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.