Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

how to be a more talkative/outgoing person? (highschool)?

i will be in 9th grade! omg! and im really scared because i only have 2 friends that i know going to the school im going to but thankfully i have a class with each of them...but i don't have lunch with any of them! yikes! =( im talkative around people i know like my friends since preschool we can talk about ANYTHING! but when it comes to new people i just have totally nothing to talk about.....i went to summer school and i tryed to think while they are talking but still nothing so i didnt make many friends =( and i wanted to know how can i be more talkative and make new friends

thanks =)

Favorite Answer

First of all: RELAX. It's totally normal for you to be a bit anxious and worried about making new friends. Almost everyone is in the same position as they are moving on to high school and want to meet new people.

Get involved in clubs, sports, and activities that you enjoy, as it's easier to talk to others about things you are interested in.

If at lunch or in class, introduce yourself and ask the person what middle school they went to, as an ice breaker. Or ask them a question about class you don't get. Or compliment them (boy or girl) on what they're wearing. It could get the conversation started.

If you find someone you really connect with or like right away, it shouldn't be a problem to get the conversation started. Just try not to talk too fast or appear too nervous. I seem to have this problem when i'm excited, but just remember that everyone is in the same boat. No worries, you Will make new friends. :)

Hello. I have that same kind of problem. Changing from a shy person to a high-tension talkative character is, I believe extremely difficult. Also, being shy brings up lot's of problems. If you're too shy and not too talkative, friends will think that hanging out with you is not fun. That's what I experienced. I suggest you try to be more positive, don't push too hard though. You could always search up on the internet for funny jokes and stories. Or share some talents you got, for example, sports, studying, etc. That way people will think that you are kind of special. Or do you ever get high? When you get high tensioned, I think that's a great chance to talk with friends. Talk about yourself, your family, try getting to know each other. Share infomation (not privacy though). Well, that's all I suggest.

TRY YOUR BEST! :)

The best thing is to be yourself. The most important thing you should focus on in high school is grades, I remember SO MANY geeks and lamers who now work building fighter jets and working for drug research companies and now make the big bucks (and have hot girlfriends and cool cars etcetra).

If that fails and you hope to be known, then you might need to "fake it till you make it". Talk to people, one thing that is pretty well known is that people who talk a lot often say things that are off beat and its OK because they talk a lot. If you absolutely want to be cool, the absolute best thing to do is not to try, the coolest people aren't fake. Being fake and reflecting at who you are and wanting to improve are different.

Like I said, you want to talk more and make more friends, Just talk to people, Introduce yourself, have a few "openers" prepared to help ease people into conversation. The key is practice, in high school every moment can sometimes seem like a battle for your self respect. Once high school is over you cannot imagine how fast all of that changes. A book that might give you insight into "gaming people" is called "the mystery method" and is an introduction to pick up, but has lots of useful information on how to approach new people/ situations.

Same situation as me.I went to a private school where kids for different cities went to,but now im going to public high school (freshman) and only a few people are going to the same school.I say be yourself,find some friends in class and sit with them during lunch.At first it might be uncomfortable but you'll make friends,trust me.

Good Luck!!

first off I've came across this myself and I'm a Senior now so:

what you would want to do is talk to someone you think is hot (you don't have to fall in love with them!!!) but you would just talk to them about how the school year could and what too expect or if your a girl use the can you come help me find my class kinda thing and if a guy you would wanna say something very similar to this " Hey are you having trouble finding your classes ???Cause I sure am would you like to help me find my classes and find some friends??" don't stray away from the quote I just said or you could ruin things in a very terrible way.....anyways you might even find that special sweet heart in Highschool!!!! <3 <3 <3 GOODLUCK haha....!!

• Eva

Listen, everyone is just as nervous as you on their first day of school. Especially when you're a freshmen in high school, you don't know what to expect. So, there is only one thing you can do. Stop worrying about it, take a deep breath, and just be yourself. You don't have to transform yourself into this incredibly outgoing person just to meet friends. Just be yourself. Just ask them what middle school their from, what they know about the school, ask about their summer,whatever comes to you.

Seriously, it is going to be fine. I can guarantee you that you are going to find some amazing friends.

Find the people you have things in common with or get to know people in the classes you have with your friends that way you're comfortable and are able to talk to people easier. If that doesn't work there are always other people who may be alone at lunch or feel awkward so talk to them. Eventually things'll work out :)

awww honey, I feel that because I was the same way. =) I was so shy, but I got to be friends with people that were really outgoing and super friendly, and they helped me sort of break out of my shell. I still consider myself reserved naturally, but I am a lot more confident about meeting new people. You just have to be positive and confident about the new experiences that you're going to go through. Just be brave & talk to people and prove yourself friendly, and you will make friends sweetie. =p

im going into grade 11 and i went to a highschool with only 3 of my best friends and we didnt know anyone. im kinda shy to knew people too and feel awkward having stupid fake conversations. but sit in a good spot in class, and look positive and approachable. me and my friends all met different people and we are still best friends but now we are close with so many people.

dont worry about it youll be fine, im sure theres a toooon of people as nervous as you. the hour befor your lunch the class will normally be in your lunch so look around for someone in there to talk with. honestly when i dont know anyone in class ill walk up to someone and like playfully with a big smile be like " i dont know anyone, will you be my friend" and its always worked they smile and start a conversation. or at lunch look for another person along they'll be over joyed you ask to sit with them. good luck and dont worry.