Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 1 decade ago

Name 1 hip hop album better than Illmatic?

No raging answers, just plain valid opinions based on how they see the album and why they think other albums are better

Candleguy

Ready to Die can be a close for me, but Life after Death had too many filler tracks, Life after Death for me = High 70's or Low 80's

Yeah see the thing is, I always found albums to be close in a way to bein almost as good, but never found them to reach that level, I mean biggie was great i loved biggie on ready to die, but there was always that little bit of doubt in some of the **** he would say, illmatic had the substance 100%, nas lived the new york black youth life, he had the lyrics and wordplay down, the metaphors, insight and storytelling, supplyin himself with great producers, i mean i really couldnt ask for more

Enta Da Stage had great beats, loved to jam out, but Buckshot just had the charisma, but lacked the substance and lyrical wordplay, i mean if youre going to lack the complicated rhymes, at least have the substance

Hell Hath no Fury on the list?

I loved the album too, but it's nowhere near that great of calibre

And War report sucks balls

• ?usten
    Favorite Answer

Public Enemy: It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

The Roots: Illadelph Halphlife

^^^^^^Oh yeah? F*ck you!

I don't consider any albums actually better, but there are a few that I would say are on the same level as Illmatic.

For example, Enta Da Stage.

Buckshot's rhymes were great! He's not Nas, it's just a different style, that could go either way: Nas never kicked a battle rhyme like Buck did, either.

Other albums on that level...

Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers

Masta Ace - Slaughtahouse

Gang Starr - Hard to Earn

Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East

GZA - Liquid Swords

Black Star-Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star

The 18th Letter-Rakim

Low End Theory-Tribe

No Need for Alarm-Del

• luptak

i've got been digging El-P's production as of overdue..C4C, the superb, R.A.P. song, some previous employer pass ish. additionally, been listening to a super style of present of Gab (4th Dimensional) and Aceyalone these days. Innercity Griots is a might desire to have album. Edit: You mentioned you had a existence is powerful leak, genuine? the place did you hear it? Edit 2: LOL, i've got faith ya

The Cold Vein

• leVel8

36 Chambers

The Blueprint comes in a close second. Maybe you can throw in Reasonable Doubt. But I think that Illmatic was not just Nas' toughest record, but one of the best of all time. Nas went hard on his debut. Then he brought it back several years later with Stillmatic.

Aquemini

Midnight Marauders

Life After Death

Reasonable Doubt

The War Report

Marshall Mathers LP

Me Against The World

Capital Punishment

Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous

Hell Hath No Fury

Food & Liquor

Damn, I just named 10...

undergrond kingz by UGK.

straight up, because it truly is underground. and their one hit single was actually great. bun b is one of the greatest rappers around. and pimp C rest in peace. n i bet yall will give me thumbs down, because UGK are rappers none of yall have never heard of. Their name fits them well, they are the kings of the underground, their songs have the best beats and some of the best catchiest lyrics, check the song Take it off, and steal your mind and international players anthem.

o and chamillionaire's ultimate victory.

o and outkast's stankonia

nah hugo, i kno alot of ppl know bout UGK, but they don't get the recognition they deserve

Source(s): UGK 4 life southern rap for life.