Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to treat seborrheic dermatitis?

I have had problems over the last couple of years with seborrheic dermatitis particularly behind my ears, above my eyelids, and now the base of my hairline on my neck. I'm wondering if there is a cream that can go on this or anything that can relieve the sporadic itching

Favorite Answer

I use hydrocortizone cream daily for mine and it controls the symptoms better than anything else I've tried. It may take 3 or 4 days to really see some results, but it my start feeling better in a day or two. If I go a while without the cream, the dermatitis comes back. When I start treating it with the cream again, sometimes it feels like a sunburn - but that passes in a day or two and the rash abates.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): treat seborrheic dermatitis: https://tinyurl.im/fZ72F

I have read that using Vick's ointment directly on the 'rash' (for lack of a better term - I had a hard enough time coming up with Vicks!), works wonders.

I don't know if you wash your hair everyday, but if you put in on before you go to bed at night, and wash your hair in the morning, this could work.

It didn't work so well for my son, who has exczema on his scalp - so I bought him some shampoo that is gentle enough for him (JASON Tea Tree Oil shampoo), and doctored it with Eucalyptus Oil and Camphor Oil which I bought at a health food store. Now his scalp looks perfect!

Eucalyptus and Camphor are two of the three main ingredients in Vicks - the third is Menthol, which was not available at our health food store. Apparently it also wasn't necessary. I just poured in a teaspoon or two of each in a 16 oz bottle of shampoo.

I don't know if it works for sebhorric dermatitis, but I've heard good things from others for the same condition.

Also, try taking extra vitamin C - like an extra 3000 mg per day.

Try taking a cod liver oil supplement - sometimes skin conditions actually reflect vitamin deficiencies.

Try having yourself tested for food or environmental allergies, and see what you can do about those - I've seen VERY strange and amazing things happen for people who started avoiding their allergens. A 9 YO boy at our church used to have hands that looked like an old woman's - extremely dry, flaky skin, even to the point of cracking, even inthe summer. Now he avoids gluten, corn, dairy and eggs and his hands look like a 9 year old boy's again.

Try taking a couple of tablespoons of raw, unfiltered coconut oil a day.

Good luck - I hope some of these tips help you.

• ?

Hi, you can try one of the natural treatments available on the Internet (just google "natural treatment for Seborrheic dermatitis") and take your pick. Some of them do actually work. For my seb. dermatitis on scalp I use herbal cream by Champori quite successfully. It takes just a couple of weeks to clear the spots and they then stay clear for months on end.

Try it: Champori comes with money back guarantee so if it doesn't work for you - it's free.

Cheers,

Stella

1

For my SD I use herbal remedies from serenaskin.com, which are steroid-free.

After about 2 weeks of using ointment and spray my skin has been cleared up and now I just continue with anti-eczema extract, which controls the immune system. My skin has been clear for months now.

It is the only treatment I have found that provides me complete relief when I use it as directed.

Source(s): my life experience

thank you everyone for answering.