promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Access BIOS to change boot order?

Can anyone tell me how to do that without having to login to admin or even guest?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You set the Boot Order in the BIOS. To access those settings, you need to enter the setup screen when the machine first boots. The EXACT key you need to hit differs depending on which BIOS chipset you have. It is USUALLY the Delete key. If it is different, then just watch the system when it boots and watch for something that will say something like "Hit the (insert key name here) Key to enter setup. Once in the setup screen, it is usually under the advanced bios settings sub menu for AMI and AWARD BIOS. Be REALLY CAREFUL what you change in here. If you don't know what you are doing or are unsure of what a setting does, don't mess with it. Also, on some BIOS, you have to change two settings. The first is the Boot sequence itself. This chooses what KIND of device it boots with first (CD HDD LAN etc..), then second is the Hard Drive Boot Priority which, if you have more than one hard drive, tells the system which HDD to try first. I hope this helps.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The BIOS comes up way before Windows loads. If the BIOS has a password set on it, you can get into it by turning the computer off, unplugging it, opening it up and removing the battery (its almost always a flat lithium battery) or some motherboards have a jumper that can be moved to reset the BIOS to defaults. If you have removed the battery to reset, then unplug your machine and leave it off for a while 10 to 15 minutes should do it.

If you do not have a BIOS password, then as soon as your computer beeps at boot time, you should be able to hit a key (F2 is common) and enter the BIOS (usually called SETUP).

Once in the BIOS, use the arrow keys and enter to navigate around. It should be quite simple to fin the boot sequence (boot order) settings.

• 1 decade ago

There is no need to login to admin to change boot order. Boot order is set at BIOS level and that is before Windows boot up. In the boot up process, press F10 (before the loading windows screen appear), that will bring you to the BIOS setup to do that.

• 1 decade ago

When you turn the computer on you will probably see the manufacturers logo or a bunch of stuff before windows loads. Try pressing Del first if that doesnt work try these other keys (F1, F2, F10) It usually tells you at the bottom to enter Bios press ??

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

you won't have the ability to. BIOS is precisely keyboard enter purely, comparable with the placed up (this is what you employ to get to BIOS). i'm uncertain what you recommend via "I truthfully have a usb keyboard that isn't artwork for the period of initiate as that's decrease interior the bios boot order than each little thing else". Keyboards are plug and play, properly ninety 9.9% of them are. they don't get prioritized interior the BIOS boot order. in the journey that your keyboard isn't working in BIOS then I recommend you ensure that your keyboard truthfully works, or a minimum of the button necessary to press to get into BIOS.

• 1 decade ago

Hi, you need to provide, make, model, manufacturer to get a specific answer as it is like asking what engine does my car have? Some use F12, some F2, some Del, some f10 on startup before windows.Then once you get in they all have different menus so if you tell us specifics perhaps someone will have one and tell you exactly how.

Source(s): experience
  • Desk
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

Hey look at this I’ve found the good tutorial about this topic

How To Change the Boot Order (Boot Sequence) in BIOS - See more at: http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-change-the-boot-o...

• Marvin
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You can ony enter the BIOS immediately after you switch on your PC - before WIndows even starts to load up.

To get into the BIOS you need to tap the right key immediately after switching on. The key depends on your model/brand of PC.

Normally it is one of the following:

Del

F1

F2

Keep tapping the key until you get into the BIOS - once per second immediately after switch on should do it.

Your initial screen might say "Hit [key] to go into BIOS" or "Hit [key] to go into Setup" or similar.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

F2, F10, F12, or DEL key at POST screen.

• Aleks
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

press del or F-somethng during boot. You don't need an operating system account to do it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.