Christians and Atheists alike! Doesn't every sane person want the same thing at heart?

A world where people don't kill people because of religion, or belief or race or lifestyle, a world where everyone is free from oppression, a world where our children can grow and be safe.. Isn't that what most of us want regardless of belief or lack thereof?

Then why must we criticize the others methods and ideas because of their source? Love is the true message whether you believe there was a messenger or not.. So why must many continue to argue and simply spread hate between each other because of the different paths we take to reach the same goal?

Yes religious and non-religious groups, as well as individuals etc have used what they believe(or don't) as a basis to do terrible things, both in the past and the present.. But that is really irrelevant because those who DON'T or WOULDN'T do terrible things both want the same future and they exist in every group and any individual. Hating one another won't change the future it will ensure it stays the same because one thing all bad things done by people before have in common is.. they were caused by HATE..

So how does passing on that hate accomplish anyones goal for the better? Just because Christians or Atheists in the past have done things that make all the rest look bad doesn't justify continuing the cycle of hate by laying the blame upon the whole rather than the individual..

As a bonus question just for my curiosity, What religion or belief would you guess i belong to based on this question alone? and why?

• Hades
    Favorite Answer

Most sane people want peace and harmony.

Sadly sanity is not quite as common as people like to think it is.

And a few people, whilst perfectly sane, enjoy the hate.

And many people think convincing others that they are right is more important than peace and harmony.

I have plenty of Jewish, Christian and Atheist friends alike, with one Muslim friend as well, and I think I'm doing alright.

People will hate and people will love, such is the way of the world. It'd be nice to reach a time of peace, but I fear that it's impossible for the human race.

For your bonus question, I think you're a pacifist. Because you're all about peace and love.

• Rudy

Yes, we want the same thing because we share the same human nature. Hate is habitual anger and a person feels this whenever he does not get what he wants. So hate can only be remedied if we can learn not to be selfish or egoistic but rather love the other person more that we love ourselves. This is the christian's marching orders which very few can faithfully fulfill in their everyday lives. So I think you are a christian because you zeroed in on love as the solution.

I think everyone just wants to be happy, or lead a decent life.

But I'm not sure if everyone wants a world where people don't kill others because of religion... Think of Iraq and the suicide bombings, and killing of other innocent people.

But I agree that hating won't solve anything.

I think you're a Secular Humanist.

• Robert

Your correct about everyone wanting the same thing. But unfortunately religion is the problem. Why because people who really believe think that what they think is the word of god, making everyone else inferior, wrong or maybe evil. As long as religion dominates mankind we will always have hate. I think your Hindu. Why because I have no idea what you are.

Yes, sane being the operative word.

I'd guess Buddhist, Pagan, Wicca, or none/atheist. I'm not so good at guessing...

Why? The peace and love in your post and I'm also going by your name.

Im only going to answer your last question.

You sound either you have no religion or you're a perspective atheist. We all want the same thing as you said, but we're not the same.

If people really wanted everyone to get along they wouldn't be picking fights with whole groups of people for no reason.

Ah, but where does love come from? If there is law, there is a law giver. If there is love, there is one who loves all. Deny the messenger and one will fall flat on their own reasoning. This is where religion gets in the way.

as an atheist I think you shouldn't hate people based on their religion

or views so yes