Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have a little chihuahua that needs to gain about 2 lbs. What is a good dog food?

I just adopted a little 3 year old chihuahua who is 7 lbs. You can see every little bone in his body. The vet recommended that he gain 2 lbs. What is a good dog food to help him. I currently use Natural Balance to feed my other dog, a Jack Russell Terrier. I like it because it is a good natural food so I would like something like that.

Favorite Answer

give it people food.

• You should be okay to use the same food your JRT eats, just make sure your new dog gets a bit more then they would normally eat (for example, if his recommended amount is 1 cup, give him 1 and a half). Once their weight evens out, give them the recommended amount.

Be sure though not to feed him TOO much right now. If he over eats, or eats too quickly, and he's severly underweight, he can make himself sick and can end up doing more damage in the long run. Since you just adopted him, solid food like this may also make him sick anyway, so you may want to start on a more easy to digest diet of boiled chicken, rice, a bit of yogurt, canned pumpkin (plain, not the stuff you use for pies!), etc... That will sit easier on his tummy and has less a chance of making him sick. You can also stick with that diet until his weight levels out and then switch him to regular dry food.

Hi, I would recommend Royal Canin Mini Chihuahua dog food. This is a dry dog food that is made specifically for the breed.

I think that's quality dog food but I'm not sure whether it's good or not because my dogs have not tried that one before but all you have to do is to just feed more. You can add in a teaspoon of olive oil in each of its meal as well.

You might try a puppy food since it has more fat. Also, feed him more frequently, perhaps 3 or 4 times a day, so that he won't have to eat a larger portion all at one time.

Source(s): personal experience

WET is the best to gain weight there is more fat in it but its healthy!

I'd do WET canned wellness brand. CHIHUAHUAS even picky ones love the TURKEY and BEEF canned WELLNESS dog food. That's the best brand there is!

Just feed him a little more than the recommended amount. He should gainn weight. You could feed him an extra meal a day and that should help.

Mix in wet dog food.

Eukaneuba

You might want to put him on a food formulated for puppies until he gains his weight. It is higher in fat and nutrition and will help him put on weight faster.

We used to feed our dogs Pedigree and they were over weight.

Mostly because we always had food out for them instead of feeding them at certain times.