Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

If I have a big ranch, can I own a wolf or a wolf dog?

Ive been reading about these animals for months now. Ive educated myself as much as I can. And I finally think I am ready. I have a 7 acre ranch house. Plenty of space to run. i just wanted to know....is this a good idea getting one?

Favorite Answer

If you have read all you can find and you feel like you are up to the challenge then definitely YES!

Wolfdogs as you correctly called them, most people inaccurately label them as wolf hybrids which is INCORRECT as pure wolves and domestic dogs are the same species!

Make sure you have secure containment and your yard must be fenced. Wolfdogs tend to have a high prey drive so can quickly leave your lot chasing a squirrel or another small animal. I would advise dig guards (wiring on the ground of the floor) on the inside of the fencing I would also advise hot wire. Do not use electric fences to contain them there have been reported cases of these intelligent animals siting just out of the shock zone and in the warning zone where the color beeps. These amazing animals will wait until the battery dies!

I would also advise 2 more sites for you to read, I don't quiet know what you have read but I know both these sites are EXCELLENT and accurate wolfdog information.

http://www.geocities.com/solowolf_93/wolfers

http://www.geocities.com/wolfdogproject/puppy1

Also make sure wolfdogs are legal in your state, theres nothing worse than sending your beloved pet to a shelter to be euthanised because state laws are inaccurately based on myths and not facts!

http://www.wolfdogalliance.org/legislation/statela...

The fact that you have so much room for a wolfdog makes things even better, however don't leave them outside train them to be your loving house pet as well! =)

If you do get a wolfdog make sure you have a companion animal that they get along with as well. Remember wolfdogs and most domestic dogs are pack animals and they want either a human or canine companion!

A good wolfdog adoption site is at the following link. The shelter I volunteer at also has a mother and son named Brutus (son) and Cheyenne (mother) that are about mid contents. There's also another dog that is not listed but that can been seen in the picture with Shiloh, her name is Ellie however she could be a bad starter wolfdog, she has some trust issues as some inconsiderate jerk shot her in the leg. Although the physical scars have recovered her mental scars still languish.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?pe... (Brutus)

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?pe... (Cheyenne)

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?pe... (Shiloh & Ellie)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=xj807...

^multiple wolfdogs site (76 adoptables at the moment)

~~~Remember Little Red Riding Hood LIED!!!~~~

~~Mochi basket your being ignorant I would advise you to read the ACCURATE wolfdog information I have listed above.

Wolfdogs are LESS dangerous than these following dogs:

~Labrador Retriever

~Golden Retriever

~Shar Pei

~Yorkshire Terrier

~Pug

~All Bulldogs

**The list goes on. This is because al of these animals have been tampered with by people and are less and less like their VERY predictable ancestor the wolf. All dogs are descendants of wolves and all people have done is bred their IMPURITIES into you typical domestic dog. Wolfdogs have VERY clear body language that portrays their emotions such as fear, aggression, submission, etc... dogs with cropped ears, floppy ears, docked tails, and/or crunched in faces all are MUCH harder to predict than a pure wolf because a wolf's body language is PERFECTLY clear!

~~TK And TMDF if you consider a wolfdog wild then you must also consider a Chihuahua wild as ANY dog if born in certain circumstances can grow up to be wild. Wolfdogs ALMOST ALWAYS retain their fear of strangers and can DEFINITELY be let loose on any area of land that is fenced in. A wolfdog and especially a pure wolf is TIMID by nature and usually only bonds with their family/caretakers and they have a SUPERIORLY strong bond to boot!

***Now lets cover some basic everyday volunteer life and see what all of you who criticize wolfdogs think. I have been bitten by 2 dogs yet NONE of them were wolfdogs OMG how is that possible??!! Because wolfdogs will typically only bite out of fear of course! I have been bit by 1 Anatolian Shepard - St. Bernard mix this dog had floppy ears and a slobbery face, much harder to read what he was thinking! The second time was an accident but nonetheless a bite when a German Shepard began kennel fighting with a Black Lab i was pulling him away and he accidentally grabbed my leg. Both of these bites I have the scars to prove.

Now let me cover some experiences with wolfdogs. At the shelter we have 1 extremely timid dog and guess what she doesn't trust us but she never has bitten us. I will have my head cclose to her face while im putting on her ear medicine to keep flies away or trying to get a collar on her while shes literally trying to be absorbed by her dog houses wall to get away from me. I have done this countless times and had she wanted to she would have bitten me! Yet we also have a Lab mix at the shelter and guess what he WILL bite me out of fear! This is something you should consider, a wolfdog will not bite me while a lab will? It seems to me that human manipulation is at fault not the wolfdog! Now for some of the more social animals. We have a Shepard/Husky/Wolf mix that is around mid content and is suspected to have been beaten. Yet once this big 100lb pup warms up to you he wants to be your lap dog! (Brutus mentioned earlier). While his mother whom is more timid of people whom in the past would just cower if we needed to put her ear medicine on would also never bite. Now that she trusts me she is a love bug and both of them are jumping and howling when they see me coming. From both experience and reading ignorance is whats giving wolfdogs a bad name and if your ignorant and unwilling to face up to the facts you shouldn't be giving Andrew here any advice. Luckily Andrew has done the needed research from what I have gathered and he is able to see past the myths. I would advise you all to do the same.

***Quote from Never Cry Wolf Rescue & Adoption***

~God made wolves, man made dogs.

Source(s): ~volunteers with wolfdogs & loving every second of it

Not a wolf. Even if you could find one, you have to consider how unfair it is to a wild animal to be kept and treated like a pet. A wolf cross....First, they're illegal in many places. You don't want to break that law because all it would take is getting busted once-(your dog gets out, a neighbor complains) and you will lose the dog. Even when wolf-crosses are legal, there are usually very strict requirements on the type of enclosure you provide. You can't just let them run loose on the 7 acres. The temperaments are unpredictable-there's no way around that. A cross may be 50/50 by blood, but it can inherit more characteristics from one parents than the other and a dog that acts like a wolf is a dangerous animal. It will tend to be more fearful (not a good guard dog) and prone to biting out of fear. Finally, there are 2 things to consider. First-you can find people who breed crosses, but I think they are really doing a disservice to wolves. Second, most rescues will not adopt to people who do not have wolf-dog experience. Consider a malamute. They are wolf-looking, completely domesticated and need lots of room

Nope. The majority of places that allow the ownership of wolves and wolf hybrids also require that when you apply for a permit that you have the proper containment for said animal, that means an actual enclosure or at least 10-12ft tall fencing with a reinforced bottom to prevent digging out and a curving top to prevent climbing out.

This is not an animal you can just allow to roam, its a good way to end up with a shot pet.

My suggestion is to save yourself some trouble and the need it take out liability insurance and get a husky or malamute. Wolves are not pets and they should never be seen as such.

Whether or not you can own one depends on the laws of your city and state. It varies. Here in TX a lot of people do own them. They require very secure enclosures since they have strong prey drives and are large enough to take down livestock. Can you get to know someone who has one, and see what issues they have had to deal with in living with one? Of course, a lot depends on what dog breeds are involved as well as the percentage of dog in the animal. I know several, and though they are friendly with people they know, they are not at all biddable. You can call them, and they'll look at you, wag their tails, and keep right on going down the road toward whatever interests them. You might even consider fostering a rescued malamute or husky to see if you like that independent personality before getting a hybrid, which will be much more so.

• First off, check into your local laws, etc... to be sure that wolves and wolf hybrids are even legal in your area. In most areas, it is illegal to keep them without a license, or at all. So a lot of it depends on your local laws, etc... so you should check there before you even make the decision to get one.

Second, you need to look at your past experience with dogs. Have you raised dogs in the past? If so, what type of dogs? If your experience is with "easy" breeds such as labs, goldens, things of that nature, I wouldn't recommend a wolf or a wolf hybrid, as they can be very difficult for a first timer with no experience in difficult breeds. This can lead to aggression issues, etc... in the future.

Third, see if you can find a wolf/wolf hybrid sanctuary or rescue in your area. Get in touch with them and see if you could come meet them and there dogs, spend some time with them, etc... Explain to them that you would like to get a dog like this, and see if they could set up a visit or two with you. Most rescues and sanctuaries like this are more then happy to allow the public to come in and spend time with their dogs. They would also be able to better answer any questions you have, and decide whether or not you are ready to take on this type of responsibility.

Have you raised dogs in the past, what types of dogs, getting a wolf hybrid is about a lot more than space they need a good alpha leader that understands that basically they are wolves and need to be prt of a pack with a stable leader at ALL times.

• ?

I wouldn't. You can't let it loose on your acreage. It is still a wild animal, but now with no fear of humans. Other ranchers will shoot it and then sue you for the damages to their livestock. Phone around and find out if any of the vets in your area will be able to vaccinate it, spay it, etc. Have you checked your local and State laws? Will you need a special permit? In my area, keeping wild animals requires a special pemit and a Conditional Use Permit for the property. During the CUP review all neighbors are notified of the request and can object to the County Planning Department. I would object if the containment doesn't seem adequate.

If you don't know the answer to that, you should not get a wolf hybrid, let alone a wolf. You need to have a very secure area. They very good at escaping. No it's not a good idea getting one. You should speak to someone who has or owned a wolf hybrid before.

• Lizzie

It is illegal in most places to own a wolf or wolf hybrid. You need to find out if they are legal in your area. Then you need to find out out what rules, laws and regulations you must adhere to, to keep one of these as a pet. Sometimes wolves must be kept only in certain types of cages, for example, no running free. If your land is not securely fenced and any of your neighbors have livestock, you may soon lose your pet to a shotgun. It's a lot less hassle to get a dog, and a lot more fun, too, IMHO.

depends on if you can handle that dominant of a breed, and if they are legal to own where you live. i know the most loving wolf dog ever, he is 75% wolf, 25% white german shepherd. he's a big mush who, when he's playing with my pups, lets my puppy tug on his scruff and chew his tail, jump all over him. but some, on the other hand, are not friendly like this without tons of socialization. when i first saw this dog i removed my dogs from the area, because i was scared of it. you really never know what you're gonna get.

I met a wolf hybrid as quickly as. enormously intelligent, very astounding animal. the only reason she enable me close to her replaced into because of the fact I asked correct and he or she replaced into all right-experienced. I had to get her up out of her kennel to flow pee, and tried to prod somewhat at her center because of the fact she wasn't feeling to keen to stand. Her words: "touch my abdomen returned and that i'm gonna ventilate you." Or so I translated. after all, unlike a canines. canines believe you. canines defer to you. canines lick your hand civilly in case you by probability injury them. canines continually and easily choose to be yours invariably; it fairly is the way they are, and it is the reason conserving a canines as a puppy is the splendid element for the canines. Wolves and wolf-hybrids do not. they produce different innovations. they would not choose to flow working. they would not choose to stay interior the backyard. they might % they have the authority to coach your little brother a lesson he will by no skill forget, or in basic terms take him out of the photograph. a newborn his age is by no skill secure around something yet a real canines, and many times not even then. evaluate getting a undeniable previous Husky or Malamute. they are wild and self sufficient adequate, yet they at the instant are not loopy unpredictable.