Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

How can adult learn basic math skills?

I am 26yrs old, have graduated high school and Cosmetology school. I have 2 small kids and cannot use my cosmetology degree due to scheduling.I am a stay at home mom now, but they won't be little forever... I want to go to community college to earn a teaching degree, but my math skills are less than lacking. I struggled all through school with math while excelling in all other areas. I tried and tried to learn my multiplication tables but couldn't. i had tutors and that didn't help either. As an adult I still cannot do math in my head and don't know my multiplication tables. How can I learn these math skills so that I don't waste my time or money when I go to school?

Favorite Answer

Go to a teacher supply store such as "Teach the Children" and pick up a work book on multiplication for 4th grade students.. You should look through a few and make sure you understand the directions easily and select the one that explains how to do them that YOU understand. Even tell the clerk you are picking up some books to help your children if this makes you more comfortable.

You must memorize the table.

Start with a multiplication table and go back to zero and memorize each level (1x1=1, 1x2=2, etc.). Say them into a recorder to assist in memorizing them for one only remembers 5% after reading something, however, if you say it out loud and record it, retention skyrockets up to 80%.. You must memorize your table and this is how you do it..

While doing chores around the house or cooking, play the recording and say them out loud at the same time to assist you.

Memorize the table up to 12, i.e. 12x12=144. you can buy some index cards and put the question on the front with the answer on the back. Mix them up and play a game with your children. My little trick is to make them rhyme and set certain ones to music..

Once you have memorized your table and have it down solid (Do a little bit each day, for your retention will be greater) go to a bookstore and look for the book titled Math Smart by Marcia Lerner. Publisher: The Princeton Review. This is a great book to overcome a common problem of math phobia (Which I myself have). It explains everything several ways to enable the reader to understand math.. I've given away three to students for they only cost $12 dollars.

This book is wonderful! You might even look for other books for adults but I recommend the ones for children.

Recently, I found myself slipping in my own math skills and am currently going through the process to sharpen my skills.

Don't rely on a calculator, learn to check your work when you learn how to divide. Online math courses simply give you the answers, not the process so I don't recommend them.

After you've mastered 4th grade, go on to 5th.. etc. The workbooks are inexpensive at the teacher supply stores.

I had the same problem in college. The math teachers at the university level seem to be "Above" those of us who need to understand the "Why and how" of the subject. I had tutors but none could help me in college. Feel free to email me if you need further info..

When you get ready to take your teacher exam (Each state is different) have a peer who has already taken it to quiz you.. You can do it.. I did

Source(s): I'm a retired teacher.. formerly math phobic..I had the same problem and still work on my math skills..

Basic Math For Adults

Remedial Math For Adults

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How can adult learn basic math skills?

I am 26yrs old, have graduated high school and Cosmetology school. I have 2 small kids and cannot use my cosmetology degree due to scheduling.I am a stay at home mom now, but they won't be little forever... I want to go to community college to earn a teaching degree, but my math skills are less...

Source(s): adult learn basic math skills: https://biturl.im/FVBQl

In addition to the things that Matthew has suggested, there are some books that I have found really useful..mainly the books from the "Teach Yourself" series: "Teach Yourself Maths" and "Teach Yourself Algebra" (and "Teach Yourself Calculus" when you're feeling a bit more adventurous).

Hope this helps :) Good luck with it all! Also, feel free to e-mail me if you want an explanation or help with any maths - I'll be happy to reply.

100% Live Sex Chat : http://camgz.com/live/?tGOM

If you enroll in a community college you have a lot of options to help you:

-Enroll first in a remedial math class to help you with the basics

-Go to a math help center on campus

-Hire a private tutor to help you

Source(s): I went to community college back a few years ago

Bad math skills aren't genetic, so the first step is to stop identifying yourself as somebody who is "bad at math". Fortunately, the fact you want to learn tells me that you've gotten past that.

There are plenty of tricks to learning the multiplication tables. The "1"s table is simple enough. The "10"s table is just a matter of adding a zero to the end of the number you're multiplying by ten. And the "11"s are mostly pretty easy (11, 22, 33, 44...). So that's one third of the job done already. I recommend buying a set of flash cards. Also, check out the pages on this site:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/sets/elem_arit...

Source(s): BS & MS in mathematics
  • Elvia

866

Source(s): AskOnlineDegree - http://www.askonlinedegree.com/