Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Can a person have false thoughts or memories? If so, has this ever happenend to you?

Favorite Answer

I read a book where they did studies where if they asked adults about memories that had as children and asked about a false one multiple times over a couple months, they thought that had really happened. So it can happen, just like if you lie about something for a long time, you start to believe the lie. Maybe if you think or talk about a memory a lot, even subconsciously, you could think it really happened.

Yes, it happens. I think it has something to do with how well you remember things. If your memory is a bit on the iffy side, like myself, some thoughts and memories might be altered in ways that might be a bit more appealing to you. Or, also like myself, if your dreams are so real to you and are so probable, they can take a permanent place in your mind and you would make believe that it was real. It might be a different view of an event that happened to you.

Apparently my Aunt had false memory after having seen a hypnotist type person, and it had MAJOR consequences and broke up the family forever! It is possible, yes.

Yes it has happened to me many of times. I know why it happens but its very hard to explain. Do some research and see what you find. Yes it is possible!

Source(s): Life experience.