Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

I need to buy my daughter a lap top. I can not spend more than 600 dollars. What is my best choice?

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

A net book.

Don't waste your money on a crappy laptop.

If you want a sufficient notebook you should at least spend about 800-900. So either hold off and save for a better PC, or go for the net book.

A netbook is a really small notebook with Wi-Fi and a simple operating system, it's like a big iPod touch with some text software haha

You can try to search for deals online, and customize notebooks, and take out programs and parts that you don't need. Depending on what your using it for (I'm assuming school) than it shouldn't be to hard to do.

You won't need a very powerful processor, or sound system.

Size won't be an issue.

You'll have to have a security program. DONT USE MCAFFEE. Get Norton, Vipre, or AVG

Obviously need Microsoft office.

Here is a PC i built for you on Dell. This would get you through school, and that's about it. If this is for a college student, she'll survive, if it's for a kid....I'd go with the netbook, but this will deffinitely get the job done.

Qty SKU Id

System Color:

Jet Black BLK 1 [313-7316] 2

INSPIRON 15:Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache) 1

Operating System:

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Edition SP1

Productivity:

Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint

Hardware Support Services:

Classic Protection: 1 yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service

LCD Panel:

Glossy, widescreen 15.6 inch display (1366x768) XGA 1 [320-7444] 5

Memory:

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MH

Hard Drive:

160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) 160GB

Video Card:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

Combo or DVD+RW Drive:

8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

Battery Options:

4-cell battery 4BAT

Wireless Networking Cards:

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card

Integrated Web Cam:

No Webcam Option

Sound:

High Definition Audio 2.0 IS 1

Adobe Software:

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 ADOBER 1 [410-1883] 15

Network:

Integrated 10/100 Network Card

PROCESSOR LABELS:

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor

OS LABELS:

Windows Vista™ Basic

Software - Antivirus:

Norton 15 month

Datasafe:

Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

Entertainment and Editing Software:

WildTangent Games

Dial-Up Internet Access:

No ISP requested NISP 1 [412-0148] 37

This is literally the lowest I could come up with. and it came out to 607$

Umm..for a good laptop, I'd have recommended a Dell or HP.

But seeing that your budget is limited, you'll have to stick to a Lenovo or Acer, but as the Acer user above me warns against it, I'd recommend Lenovo. Just pick any Lappy from these brands that fits your budget. Don't worry about moels and stuff.

Just go to their respective sites like www.hp.com OR www.dell.com www.lenovo.com and configure a Lappy to suit your needs.

And yeah, once again, don't worry about the configuration/specifications too much. As long as it's under your budget, go for it.

Just a tip, a budget increase of $100-$200 would mean a difference between an average and a nice piece of machine.

I have an acer and it is terrible. Do not get an acer! It stalls and shuts down all the time, the network shuts off, it's slow... My advice is to get a USED MAC laptop. My mom has one and it works just like a new one it's just a ton cheaper. You can get them for around $300. Look them up. It's nice to get something new, but seriously you will not even be able to tell that it's used.

First choice Toshiba Satellite, look here, buy direct and save:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/home.to

Second choice is a Dell, look here: http://www.dell.com/

You will not find a gaming lap top for $600.00 if that is what she wants but look at these, very good for every thing:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/laptops.to?cat...

You might want to consider the extended warranty and accidental damage as lap tops do not take to rough treatment /dropping etc. and are expensive to repair.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTool...

Something like that seems like a good deal since it has good features like 3 gigs of RAM and a 320 gig hard drive has a built in web cam, an hdmi port as well as a dual core processor

ACER 6930G-744 Laptop

Really good value, Google it, I have it it's amazing.

Get one from Dell you can get a nice one for less than that

I would suggest going to Dell.com where you can customize a laptop to fit your needs and funds.

:D

"Need" to.....if only my parents "needed" to buy me things....My parents don't buy me anything at all....if i want something i have to buy it with my own money.Tell your daughter to be grateful that her parents 'need' to buy her 600 dollar laptops...

Try gooogle look up "first ever computer".