I want to be FBI someday, but cant get a clear answer as to what the biggest requirements are?? Please help!?

im 16, and iv had my heart set on joining the FBI someday. i want to be a field agent, not forensics or profiler. im proficient in all science classes, and very good with math. but i dont know what i should do to stand out above other people who want the same job. iv looked at the FBI site, but its not very clear. any advice is greatly appreciated.

• drdr
    Favorite Answer

A Bachelor's degree is required for federal special agent positions (very few exceptions). Any major is acceptable, but Criminal Justice, Sociology, or Psychology may stand you in better stead. Those meeting the minimum requirements may not compare well to the best qualified applicants, and there are always more applicants than positions. The FBI likes lawyers and accountants, but they hire from various backgrounds (http://www.fbijobs.gov/). Other federal agency job announcements should be available at https://my.usajobs.gov/login.aspx.

I majored in criminal justice (cj), got a masters in management (agency sponsored on govt time), and a PhD in cj. I recommend that you major in psych and minor in cj. Any bachelors degree is acceptable for federal investigative agencies. GPA, testing, physical fitness, work experience, possibly a polygraph, ability to communicate orally and in writing, and graduate degrees are what determine who gets hired.

There are numerous special agent positions (e.g., NCIS, DEA, ICE), in what was and I assume still is the 1811 job series (1810 are unarmed investigators without arrest authority). Air Marshals work for the Dept of Homeland Sec, a very boring job (one who did the work likened it to the movie Groundhog Day). Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms is in the Dept of Justice (i.e., under the thumb of the FBI).

You might also consider the U.S. Marshal’s Service. They have two divisions, one is responsible for fugitive investigations, and has the same grade structure as other major federal agencies. Most federal agencies have Inspector General special agents with varying authorities. The State Dept also has special agents, as does IRS (I was not impressed with their agency, but they may get more money laundering work, which is sometimes not as boring as it sounds). My general advice is to apply as many places as possible, and accept the first offer. Then, if that’s not where you want to be, keep applying. It is not unusual to find former agents from some other agency working at another agency, and it is easier to get a job if you have a job.

Source(s): Retired fed spec agent (NCIS [when it was NIS], Customs, & finally Homeland Sec [ICE]), crim justice adj prof, TX peace officer certification, TX investigative hypnosis certification, former tactical team member, TX licensed PI, sat on hiring panels for two fed agencies, defensive tactics and firearms instructor for two federal agencies, formerly USMC Military Police officer & enlisted

To become an FBI Special Agent, you must be a U.S. citizen or a citizen of the Northern Mariana Islands. You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent. Applicants must possess a four-year degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional or national institutional associations recognized by the United States Secretary of Education. All candidates must possess a valid driver's license and be completely available for assignment anywhere in the FBI's jurisdiction. In addition, applicants must be able to meet all of the FBI's Special Agent Qualification Requirements:

http://www.fbijobs.gov/111.asp

the fbi has a website, you should google it.

Change your online I.D. to something different than "con man." :)

you blew your cover just now. no chance.