Moving out of state for UNDER a year (PA to MD)?

I am relocating to Maryland for a teaching job and only plan to be there for 1 year, until my apartment lease runs up pretty much. I am contracted for 1 year through the district and plan on moving back to Pennsylvania next summer.

Can I live in Maryland without changing my insurance/state ID/main mailing address for banks, etc. for this time period? I am moving away from my parent's house for the first time - so that address is definitely available to me still. It seems like a hassle to change it all over to MD, then change it back later. I don't know - what are the laws on this and what not?

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    New Maryland residents are required to change their driver's license, registration, and car insurance within 60 days of moving to the state. The fact that you plan to move again does not negate this. After 60 days, your license would be considered not valid. If you were pulled over and ticketed the cop could, at his discretion of course, also write you a ticket for driving without a valid license. If you were in an accident, your insurance company could deny paying the claim since the car isn't "garaged" (their term, even though it isn't necessarily in a garage) where you told them it is. And then once you change your insurance, if you haven't changed your registration, Pennsylvania will pull your plates for not having Pennsylvania insurance.

    It's actually more of a hassle not to do the change then change it.

    As for the address for banks, etc., there is no law that states that you have to receive these at your legal residence. You can receive them anywhere you please.

  • M M T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    I don't think MD will require you to get a MD license so you should be good there. But I would notify your auto insurance company that you are living in MD. If you were to have a claim and didn't tell them you moved even temporarily, they could deny coverage.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.