bitybritty05 asked in SportsRunning · 1 decade ago

Is this normal when you run?

I have a gym membership but can't really afford it anymore. The whole reason I got a gym membership is because of problems I have had running and gyms have other options for cardio. I'd like to try to run again but some things always happen when I do. I don't know if I am just not used to running and am giving up to easily. When I run my shins, calves, and soles of my feet hurt really bad. I won't even have run for 15 minutes. I have gotten different shoes and everything and it still hurts that bad. When I stop running the pain immediately goes away. Is it just because my body isn't used to running or is it something more serious?

Favorite Answer

No. It's not normal.

One possibility is that your shoes don't match your bio-mechancis.

Makers of running shoes make different types of shoes to compensate for differences in bio-mechanics. Some have high arches, some have medium, some have low. (And in-between). Some are heel strikers, some are mid-foot strikers, some are

forefoot strikers.

You say you have tried different shoes. What steps have you taken to try to get the shoes that match your bio-mechanics? If you've not done so, go for a consultation at a store that specializes in running shoes. Discuss your problems.

Since you don't have a lot of running experience, you should do the wet footprint test. Take a look at the picture at the Books for Dummies web site so you have an idea of what to look for. Bare your feet. Make a puddle on a sidewalk. Walk through the puddle, making foot prints as you exit the puddle. Note what your wet foot prints look like. Bring this information to the running store. (Better yet, take a digital photograph and bring that in.)

When you go, have both feet measured. Check for width, foot length and arch length. Look for differences between your left foot and right.

If the running store doesn't help you, you might want to consult a podiatrist or orthopedic specialist. You may need orthoses (orthotics). If you do need some for running, you might want to use some for street and work shoes, too.

Good Luck!

Guaranteed results, please trust me! Don't worry, this problem is totally normal. I am a runner for west catholic high school and i think that your problems are two things: you are buying the wrong shoes, and you aren't stretching as much as you should be. To solve the shoe problem(this will take care of the soles) simply go to a running shoes stores such as Gazelle Sports or Striders. They have people there that look at your feet for a little while and tell you exactly what they think you need. If this gets too expensive after a while, simply go to a more general store like khoels and find shoes that are as close to what you got as possible. For the hamstrings, put the ball of your foot on and wall, and bring your torso closer to the wall. Do this for about 20-30 seconds. For the shins, sit down, bring one of your legs forward to where you can reach the ball of your foot, and pull on the ball of your foot. If you put the back of your ankle on the right spot on the ground, you will stretch your shin. Do this also for about 20-30 seconds. Once you have done all of this, start running about 3-4 miles a day. Then keep putting another mile on each day every two weeks. You should definitely give yourself a 1 day break every week, but try to keep that day the same day every week.

Source(s): My Cross Country coaches from Walker Charter Academy, and West Catholic High School.

Take it easy. The human body is well designed for running but you have to work up to it slowly. Hill training is a good way to build muscular tissue. And run slowly until you are comfortable. Wind sprints are also good; sprint a short distance and then walk, sprint and walk, sprint and walk. Keep your heart rate slightly elavated.

Don't only run. A variety of activities is best for you. Check out this guys website. Ross Eminait wrote a book called "Never Gymless" which is about using the materials you have around you to construct good workouts. The book is excellent; his approach is actually better than what you'll be able to do in most gyms, which are dirty, you have to wait for equipment, and the machines are designed to train your muscles in isolation instead of training them to work together to make you healthy and strong. Watch some of his sample videos at this site: http://www.rosstraining.com/

and check out the Free Resources section at this site, as well as the strength and conditioning section: http://www.rossboxing.com/

All the best!

Go back to the gym and explain the situation to them. Ask them for a better rate, and they will probably give you one. Look at it this way, nothing they have costs alot to operate, so their out of pocket costs are minimal. They want you as a customer, and will work things out with you to keep you as one.

If they don't... go somewhere else.

Before you start running, do some power walking, and get your legs and feet back into the form they need to be in.

I hate to run, but love to play basketball... sometimes it's not what you do, but how your doing it.

you need to build yourself up because it is a shock to your system, try running for ten mins for the first 2 weeks and then every week run an extra 5 mins.

good luck !

answer mine.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Am05B...

try strecthing everything before you run, it helps alotand ease you body into running faster and longer maybe running every 2 days or so

Source(s): im good at running :) really good at track and cross country

sometimes i get cramps in my stomach when i run

Source(s): i dk