bad sides of joining the U.S. Army?

i honestly like heat and that gas chamber i heard of that. Hope i dont die.

thanks for everyone serving now.

Well if me or anyone else who wants to join can atleast make it through basic training or boot camp then that'll be amazing it sounds like a joke compared to the real thing.

as far as making it in life i fail in my grades like every year so i guess if i fail to much then yeah army but you still have to be educated and thats where it confuses me.

okay thank you all and i'll leave it to vote.

Favorite Answer

Long work shifts a times, getting dirty, heavy work loads at times. Long times in field, away from home...

But the pluses totally out weigh the minuses

You can die anywhere (bus, fall down stairs, etc...), might as well die doing something, making a difference...

I loved my time in the srevice. Yes, it sucked at times and was still a great experience... You get out of it what you put into it.

Source(s): U.S.Army DAV 19K20 M1A1 Abrams MBT 1990-1996

For you? Um...

Thinking BCT is a joke and a cake walk.

Thinking you can join after failing all of your classes.

You must have a HS diploma. The Army takes the GEd as well, but you must have 15+ college credits of 100+ level on top of it. In addition, you must pass the ASVAB (military entrance test), which covers several different academic areas. And you don't just want to pass it; you need to as well as possible in order to get the jobs in the Army that you want.

So basically, I'd say the bad side for you would be that you don't seem to have given this enough serious thought, and don't understand yet that it's not as easy as you want it to be.

Good luck to you.

1. Death/serious injury

2. Spending a ton of time away from everyone you know.

3. Really bad psychological affects with around 20% of veterans who have to see a psychiatrist.

4. Sometimes people think it takes the place of college. It doesn't. When your deployment is over, you'll end up at a dead-end job unless you get some higher education/training.

You get whatever you put into your experience. There could be nothing bad. And no, you most likely will not be shot, you have more of a chance running over an IED (Improvised Explosion Device) than you do being shot. But like the other guy said, you would have to listen to a dick head officer that probably doesnt know more than you.

Good Luck.

Source(s): USMC DEP program. that's what my CO (Commanding Officer) told me.

Justin, don't believe the movie heroes in wars. Army process makes you more like a robot. Go there, pick up this, shout up, hurry up and wait. If you can;t make it in this real life world THEN join the Army.

Spartawo...

You are away from home a lot. You could be stationed in California this year and Alaska the next and Arizona the next. If some dumb a** out ranks you, you have to do what he says any way.

Your away from your family a lot.

Long stressful time at basic training.

They hace a training drill there where they put you in a room full of gas and see if you don't fall over choking.

Source(s): Best friend went to basic about a month ago, keeping in touch by letters

You have to live in tough conditions, could get sick of some disease, when you come back home your memories of what war is like could scar you for life. You could have those moments where you act like you actually at war, or you could see a friend die.

Besides the fact that you might die

The biggest for me, is taking orders from someone who is an *** and outranks you.

You have NO freedom to do what you want in your life.

You will end up fighting other peoples lost causes and wars.