Muslims: Can one Openly profess to being an atheist in countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran and still survive?

Just checking.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Hi conundru! :-)

I think I'm one of the best people to answer this as I was born into a Shia Muslim family in Iran, I've left Iran & I'm agnostic now, I openly declare my lack of faith in Allah.

In Iran, especially in urban, educated cities, depends on where you profess your lack of faith, I have told some of my friends, quite a few of them were non believers as well, I generally trust them.

If they complained to the cops, I might get into trouble, but they'd have to produce proof, in any case it wouldn't help them in any way, so I guess they wouldn't complain.

Had I declared my apostasy in say a newspaper or on T.V. or I was a celebrity, I could be in deep s***!

Thats' how Islam spreads, many nations have laws against apostasy, don't allow contradictory opinions to be aired, families will disown kids who become atheists, or worse & many tend to have large families, all the kids are indoctrinated from childhood.

• 4 years ago

Saudi Arabia

• RaTz
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If the country is a theocracy -- no. Though take Albania -- they are 70% Muslim but have no OFFICIAL religion and you can be an open atheist there. They're even getting gay marriage. The moral of this story is theocracy is evil, no matter which religion is running it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Of course not. Search 'Richard Dawkins Iran Christians' and you'll find 2 ex-Muslim now-Christians locked up and awaiting trial.You can be Muslim in those countries. Period. But you can be Muslim all you want in America . And people still think America is intolerant of Muslims. Sad.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Apostasy is a capital offense in both countries:

Death by beheading in Saudi Arabia, death by hanging in Iran.

Source(s): Atheist (raised Muslim)
  • Mark S
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

(I'm not Muslim, but) An adult male in a country where Shari'a is Law AND who was raised Muslim may not renounce the faith without risking death. Females and adolescents are to be treated with less severe punishment, or no punishment, but they may be handed into the care of one who is charged with restoring their faith.

• 1 decade ago

no. they will die. i met a guy who is an atheist from Iran. his dad was atheist as well and they had to go along as if they were muslims.

• It depends on how fast you can run.

If you can outrun an angry mob of pursuing muslims to the border, then yes, you could survive there.

• 1 decade ago

No, you'd most likely be executed or killed off by people who hate you for being athiest. Very nice question, star for you!

• 1 decade ago

I have no idea. But this issue has nothing to do with religion as much as the government and the people there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.