? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

Kinda confused about Dual Citizenship?

I am a US Citizen and my fiancee is a UK Citizen. We are expecting a baby and need to know some more information. I think that the baby will have a dual citizenship since he still resides there and I am still here. We are planning on getting married and eventually the baby and myself moving there. I know that I am going to have to apply for citizenship over there and it looks like it is after about 3 yrs of living there. But here is the thing: What do I need to apply for to legally be able to work and live there once we are married? (Planning on marrying here) Will I have to apply for citizenship for the baby? Any kind of information will be very helpful.


5 Answers

  • Belle
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If the babies father puts his name on the birth certificate (which in different states have different laws, some require the father to be present to sign the birth certificate application, some don't. so look into it) then the baby will automatically become a dual citizen. I have a son who is a US-UK dual citizen. The UK consulate we consulted when out son was born said it is best to apply for the US passport first. Then apply for the British passport. The British passport is proof of British citizenship. You will need your bf's birth certificate, a copy of your bf's passport (photo and information page) if you are married a copy of your marriage license. 2 passport photos, the application filled out (will also need a co signatory) and the money. It took us roughly 12 weeks to get his British passport (we live in the states)

    As for how you go about moving to the UK. Your bf can file for a fiance visa or you can go ahead and get married, then you would file for the spousal visa. Both applications will require proof of your relationship like letters, phone records, emails, plane tickets, photos etc. He will need to supply proof of living accomidations. Including a letter from his land lord stating that he knows you will be moving in and it is okay. He will need proof of income for last couple of yrs, and a letter from his employer. For 2 people the income requirement is basically 100 pounds a week left over after bills. Not sure for a family of 3. That is to just get the process started. Generally spousal visa's are a little quicker to process. In the process you will be required to go for a medical exam and biometrics. I am going to include some links for your use. They can explain a lot.

    Good luck







    If you need anymore help please just email me. I have 48 bookmarks regarding British immigration issues.


    EDIT: To correct something Angela said. If the baby is born in the US they do NOT have to register the baby at all. They can apply straight for the British passport, as it is proof of British citizenship in an unto itself. My son was born in the US, his dad is British, and we did not register him. We instead applied for and obtained his British passport. Look at the link I am providing.


    Note to British-born parents applying to register the birth of a child:

    Although we welcome applications to register the birth of children born in the USA to British-born parents, you should be aware that this is not obligatory. A registration certificate is a useful document to help establish a child's British nationality, but it is perfectly acceptable to apply directly for a British passport, without first registering the birth. However, we recommend that British parent's, currently working in the USA on UK Government service should register their child's birth using the form on this website.

    P.S.S. LMAO..the case Angela suggested you look at in reference to dual American/British citizenship is a question I answered over 2 months ago (and got best answer BTW) Nice to know she bookmarked my answer so she could refer to it later.

    Source(s): I am an American citizen married to a British citizen who currently has an American green card. I lived in the UK for a while, and my husband now lives here in the states. We have a 8 month old son who is a dual American/British citizen.
  • Teekno
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    The baby will be a US and a UK citizen from the moment of birth. Whichever country the baby is born in, visit the nearest embassy or consulate of the other country to register the birth.

    You'll need to apply for an immigration visa over there. Things tend to go more smoothly if you hire an immigration attorney.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    The only way for you to lose American citizenship is to renounce it after having reached the age of 18. Saudi Arabia does not recognize dual citizenship but that changes nothing about your US Citizenship.

  • 1 decade ago

    I guess you have to think about the baby's situation first, seeing that you will go to UK later. If the baby is born in U.S he/she will be American by Ius Solis, it means the acquisition of U.S. citizenship by birth. Then the father of your baby need to be British by birth. He needs to register the baby's birth with the nearest British Embassy (I guess he has 12 months or so). You should ask at the Embassy, They should advise you what you need. Usually they require HIS UK birth certificate, ( marriage certificate) and his daughter's US birth certificate.

    A British/American passport is the best thing you can give to your baby as it allows her/him to live and work anywhere in the EU/UK/U.S.

    Check The UK Home Office webside:


    Then if you want to move over there, you will need to get a visa and you guys need to show that:

    -you are legally married to each other or have registered a civil partnership;

    -you are going to live together permanently as man and wife, or as civil partners

    -you can support yourselves and any dependants without help from public funds

    -you have adequate accommodation where you and your dependants can live without help from public funds

    -you are aged 21or over.

    You will need a visa or entry clearance certificate before travelling to UK. To obtain it, you should apply to the British diplomatic post in the country where you live (U.S)

    When you arrive in the United Kingdom, you will be given permission to live and work there for two years. Near the end of the two years, if you are still married or in a civil partnership and plan to live together, you may apply to live there permanently, and then apply for British Citizenship too.

    Check the UK Home Office webside:


    Plus I found a similar case like yours about Dual American/British citizenship, check here:


  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.