Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is religion bad for society, or is an unhealthy society more conducive to religion?

A relatively recently assembly of data regarding social well-being of several nations vs their level of religiosity (or at least belief in a personal creator-god) strongly suggests that less healthy countries tend to be more religious. This study ignores the endlessly violent middle East (in fact, it only uses 1st world countries) and still hits that conclusion.

Is religion cause or effect?

For those who want the doc: http://cms.epjournal.net/filestore/EP07398441_r.pd...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Many older people would say that unhealthy society is bad for religion but to me I think that religion is bad for society. All the different religions causes feuds between people.

• 1 decade ago

Religion does three things effectively

controls people

divides people

deludes people

• 1 decade ago

i would say that it is both cause and effect, firstly people start to feel less well off, insecure or downright scared, then they turn to religion, as different people/slash groups turn to different religions they begin to fight amongst themselves over who is right (its no one but there you go), this then leads to more problems and the hold thing starts over again

• 1 decade ago

I wouldn't say its the only reason, because there are many, however it gives one more thing for people to argue about.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I wouldn't say that there is a total correlation, but that is very interesting.

• sjp
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

yes to both

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Never thought of it that way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.