how much would you expect your future husband to spend on an engagement ring i went ahead and asked my mom?

ans she said nothing less than $5,000

Favorite Answer

My requirements to my husband, when he was shopping:

Solitaire stone

Silver-toned ring

DO NOT GO INTO DEBT

I would have been okay with a spray-painted ring pop; I had no expectations on cost what so ever!

When he gave me my gorgeous, .75+ carat diamond that sparkles like you've never seen, I was shocked! His immediate statement was that I could upgrade if it's not what I wanted. My answer? Not on his life! I love my ring! It's about the thought he put in to it, not the cash.

• Sar

What I always hear is that a guy should spend three months pay on a ring. To me that's a little much. I think that the price tag is something that a girl shouldn't care about. He wants to marry you, isn't that enough? As long as you like the ring who cares if he spent $80 on it? It's not about the ring. It's about getting married to the person you love.

And to say nothing less than $5000 is ridiculous. Seriously. You know you're putting way too much into a ring when you can start buying cars for that same price.

That is ridiculous. The amount spent on an engagement ring is up to the individual man. The ring should be within his budget, what he feels comfortable spending and a reflection of his love. It has nothing to do with carat weight or price tag.

If you find a $300 ring that you like and can comfortably afford – great!

If you find a $3,000 ring that you like and you can afford – fantastic!

But don’t feel limited to a superficial price range or size of rock.

If you’re considering asking a woman to marry you, you’ve got better things to think about than the opinions of a bunch of gold-diggers and misinformed (albeit, well intentioned) women.

I have seen the recommendation that one should plan on spending about 3 months net income for an engagement ring.

Of course, that guidance was given by a company that sold jewelry, so I would take that with a grain of salt...

Either way, here are a few questions from me:

Is the lady in question likely to have the ring appraised?

Will she be offended if an insufficient amount was spent on the ring?

If the above two questions get an answer of yes, would you really want to marry that woman?

My husband spent $500 on my engagement ring. It really doesn't matter. If there were no ring at all who cares! The man should go out, get a ring, surprise his future bride with a proposal. Money spent makes no difference in the love that you have for each other.

Its what he could afford. $5k is too much, if you ask me. I'd rather have that be a part of a downpayment to a house! Heck, if my fiance never gave me this ring, but had the money away to save for a house, I'd be happier then having the ring!

I wouldn't expect anything. I would hope he would get what he could comfortably afford. I don't care if that's $50 or $5,000. My ring was $1000 and I love it!

• I don't care about price of my ring. Its an old wives tale that your supposed to spend one months salary on a ring, my ring was £900, but to me thats alot, as my fiancee and i dont have much.

I didn't expect a certain price ring - just that it was sparkly. :) I think to put a price tag on it is kind of ridiculous. I would do what you can reasonably afford and not go into debt over it.

That's pretty selfish of your mom. I told my boyfriend nothing over $1,200. I just want something yellow gold and that he picked out. I'd rather spend more money on our honeymoon or stuff for our house.