Why do people need to believe in god when this belief does not make sense?

I was raised catholic and feel like I was lied to. There is no way that the judeo christian viewpoint holds up under the scrutiny of logic. The "problem of evil" is just too compelling to turn away from. If there is a god, he/she/it is so far outside the bounds of our comprehension that attempting to understand the will of such a being is futile. I ask for an honest and rational response to this question? I am not attacking any particular religion here, merely questioning the rationality of belief when there is no credible evidence to back up the premise. Thanks in advance for your intelligent response.

The "problem of evil" refers to the philosophical dilemma wherin events that we would unilaterally view as evil (ie: an "act of god" such as a tsunami, meteor, etc inflicting incredible amounts of suffering upon innocents) cannot be reconciled by the existence of a benevoloent diety.

I don't think scripture can be used as an argument for the existence of God. Scripture verses are mostly declaratory in nature and offer very little in the way of credible rational evidence that what they proclaim is indeed true. Please refrain from using scripture in your arguments and instead provide a response that includes some kind of reasoning or thought process. To me, the bible is just an ancient manuscript and should be treated as a historical document and not established fact. It may contain some truth, but this has been watered down by exaggeration over the last 2000 years or so. To me, believing the bible to be true would be the same as believing Grimms Fairytales, or the legend of Paul Bunyan were true. There may be a grain of truth in these, but it has been exaggerated by many retellings.

Favorite Answer

People need to believe in God because they can't accept that they won't exist after death. It's much more consoling to think that they will die and be with their loved. This view is much easier to deal with than reality.

Hey, want to know how it feels like to be dead.... well just think about how you felt before you were born.

Another reason is because they can't accept that existence may not have a creator.

1 Corinthians 3:18

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

It makes perfect sense that there is a God. Not only that but it also makes sense that Jesus is the Son of God and Lord of all.

If all I read or if all I had to read was the book from the Prophet Daniel, That would be all I needed to believe in Jesus Christ as long as I knew about who Jesus was. If you were raised Catholic it is no wonder why you are confused. There is no way the Catholic Priest are telling their people the truth.

The Pope means absolutely nothing to me. I just don't get that part of it. The actual scriptures contradict it.

I too was raised Catholic and I also feel I was lied to. But I was still able to find the God of the bible. It just took me an extra 20 years.

That book says you will find God when you seek Him with all your heart. Logic works equally well, but you have to open your eyes to see the truth. That's where most people fail.

The God of the bible says He's the only god who can predict the future with 100% accuracy. He even challenges other gods to out-do Him. And if you study the prophesies of the Old Testament, you'll discover hundreds have already come true and many more are being fulfilled even today.

Like Jesus said, "seek and you shall find."

• The problem is we approach God looking from logic point of view and if it not logical then we think it makes no sense. Thats why we must all come to God by faith and not on our understanding. We all at one time think that my good works will out way all the the things I have done wrong in life. I know for a fact that inside you feel that some day I think I am going to be judged after I die. We all have that in us and it will not go away no matter how we try to say it is not there. God gave us the ten commandments to show us that we are sinners. We have all broken God commandments and for doing so, we will face judgment one day and the penalty for our sins is death. That means we will be separated from God in hell for eternity. If we take the time to get over selves and humble our selves before the Lord and admit we have not done right in his sight and are sorry for the bad things we have done meaning sin and believe in Jesus as our savior and put our trust in him alone for the salvation of our souls. God saves us and empowers us to be able to live a life like his Son. God makes us more like Jesus. Romans 10:10 For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved. 11 The scripture says, No one who believes in him will be put to shame. God bless!

"I ask for an honest and rational response to this question?"

Do you mean an answer to the "problem of evil"? If so, that's quite easy. You have never seen nor heard of evil. Everything you have ever known was good. Evil only exists as it is contrasted to good. Without good, we cannot know evil. And what we know as evil is only relative to what we think of as good.

For me there is no "problem of evil". I've seen more evil than I dare say anyone in this forum has, but it could always have been worse. If it could have been worse how could it have been evil?

"If there is a god, he/she/it is so far outside the bounds of our comprehension that attempting to understand the will of such a being is futile."

This is where faith comes in. You are not meant to understand but accept the will of such a being.

Or so I understand it based on the religious types I have spoken to.

mostly because they were brain washed as children and now that there minds have been battered about so much they are too weak to live their lives without the lie. well done for not getting sucked in,

sorry its no very intelligent but i can feel all the religious peoples stupid responses slowly sapping my will to live

Maybe its cuz ur following the wrong religion.. its not makin sense to u cuz christians usually are taught not to ask questions and just believe whats written in hhmm almost 72 different versions of bibles God knows how you people choose.. However, in Islam, its only ONE RELIGION,ONE GOD,ONE BOOK, and PROPHETS! and ALL your questions are answered! Maybe after u start learnin about Islam you wouldnt be too confused or lost!

Source(s): MUSLIM

Their fear of eternal damnation or their ulterior motives of an afterlife cloud their critical thinking and logical reasoning skills

Nobody needs to believe in an invisible boogyman in the sky.