Females - Choose one: would you rather be loved by a man or have your career?

Assume the man truly and deeply loves you, and assume you love your job. Please specify what this job is. This hypothetical situation says the two choices are mutually exclusive. It's one or the other.

Some ways people have misunderstood my question:

1)When I say "career" I don't mean money, whether to be rich or just to survive - I mean your life's work, what you've devoted your life to or how you contribute to society.

1a)You can get a different job, but it must be equally fulfilling.

2)Please explain your position. Don't say things like "Of course I'd choose ...!" I may not understand why you'd choose that.

3)There are no loopholes. For the sake of argument we're saying the two are mutually exclusive.

4)This isn't about family or kids. It's about a man's love.

• Mary
    Favorite Answer

That's easy love of course. No job is worth the cost of sacrificing true love.

I am saddened and very disappointed by some of the answers here. Sisters, what was the point of our struggle if you would so easily choose some "male" over your career??

Men will just use and abuse you anyway. Love is a Patriarchal construct designed to mislead womyn into a life of enslavement as the husband's chattel.

Your boss cares about you much more than any so-called family ever will. If you pick career, you will always have fond memories of business meetings and power point presentations to nourish you in your old age.

And your boss will always be around for you when you are old and sick. That's how life works.

Source(s): "The traditional flowers of courtship are the traditional flowers of the grave, delivered to the victim before the kill. The cadaver is dressed up and made up and laid down and ritually violated and consecrated to an eternity of being used." Andrea Dworkin

Love. Nothing matters more than family. Your twilight years are gonna be very cold and lonely if you chose a career over a family. Memories of work just aren't going to help you through old age like remembering loved ones and visiting with grandkids.

• ?

That's a weird question as the two are never mutually exclusive.

I don't want to be loved by a man so I can sit on my duff and do nothing in this world, but I don't work my tuckas off to ignore men, either.

As a man, I have to say this is not fair. What about the fellas?

I would gladly give up my career as gym instructor if the right woman came along. Right now I am coaching two lonely female lawyers and three lonely female doctors. I already told them that I will gladly move into their McMansions right now, no questions asked.

Source(s): real men don't work

I always choose family & love over career.

Definitely love.

It won't be my career that will make me feel safe when I'm weak by age and bedridden. Let alone not feel lonely.

• Erin

If those are the only two choices, I would choose my job. Just because a man loves me does not mean we would live together nor would it mean he would support me. And quite frankly, I wouldn't want him to. I would give up on the man in favor of a job for the simple reason that by having a job, I can guarantee I'm taken care of.

• Scatta

If he truly and deeply loved me, and I loved him back the same? Him, definitely! You can always get a different job, but loved ones are precious.

If he truly and deeply loves me he's not going to stop just because I'm devoted to my job. I'm relieved to have spotted this loophole ;)