What do you think of the Mitsubishi 3000gt?

My dad has had a 1991 Mitsubishi 3000gt sitting in the garage for a few years and I am fixing it up. What are your thoughts on the car?

Favorite Answer

love it. i have a 91 3000gt DOHC that i am in the middle of doing a motor swap in. once it is done and running i'm selling it for a 91' VR-4 with a blown head. i have been in love with these cars since i've been about 10, and i really like working on them even tho they are very hard to work with lol. they can b a money pit, but they are worth it in my opinion. Fav car ever!

They're impossibly tight to work on, everything in the shop manual begins with "take the wheel off, take the wheel shroud off...."

The VR4s could be made into awesome street machines. While they don't corner terribly well, they do AWD launches like no-ones business and there's room to tune them. The shop manual I cited in my source.

If it's not a VR4, it'll look cool, but consider swapping in the engine. You will need to bring along the drivetrain or you can keep the FWD transmission.

• mark l

It's so expensive to fix only Mitsubishi dealership technicians with employee discounts should own them.

I like it only if it is the edition with Twin Turbo. I think it's a car worth playing with and doing projects on.

Nice in its prime. Potential money pit.