Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

can they take your baby away due to having depression?

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with depression I was never admitted but saw somebody to speak about it and was put on anti depressants.

I haven't ever had any problems since.

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and have been very poorly throughout my pregnancy with UTI and Wednesday was confirmed to have kidney stones.The radiographer was unable to give me any information about how this would effect me or my baby so on Thursday I called the hospital for more details.

I was promised 4 times that a doctor/Midwife would get back to me which they did not.

Friday I was in a lot of pain and still worried about the outcome of my kidney scan.

I found myself getting rather upset and going into the maternity unit for help and advice.

When going to the hospital I was calmed down with a drink and told that a doctor would come and see me.

When the doctor came to see me she asked how I was feeling etc and by that time was calm and expressed by fears.

I was then shocked to be asked about my depression and was then asked if I was self harming!!!!!

I showed I was shocked by the question but they then followed by asking if I felt able to cope at home and if I had any thoughts of self harm I was to contact somebody asap.

I am now really shocked and worried that because I had 1 emotional day at 31 weeks pregnant doctors feel that I may have depression again.

I am scared and worried what this could mean for my baby!

Can they investigate my capability to look after my baby over something so silly.

Please help I don't want to keep worrying I want to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy and look forward to my little girl being born.

Favorite Answer

If you are in the US, no. You cannot have your child taken for mental illness alone, you have to demonstrate an inability to care for your child. Being emotional when your 31 weeks pregnant would hardly qualify. If that was the case, no one would ever seek treatment for postpartum depression for fear their child would be taken from them.

I have been suffering from post partum depression for the past one year when I gave birth to a baby boy. I couldn't stop thinking about how my husband loves him more than me and how things might be better if he wasn't born at all. Thus, I stayed away from him because I knew that I might do something I will regret for the rest of my life.

Almost instantly I went to a therapist and convince them that I need help. Among other things, I've tried herbal supplements and other book to treat depression but nothing works like the Depression Free Method. So now I'm proud to say I'm one of the happiest mother in the world. My husband loves us both very much and I thank the Lord for the blessing he gave us.

Depression Free Method?

No they can unless the have reasonable cause. The reason why they are asking you about your depression is because 30% of women have postpartum depression after birth, and they have done studies that women who have had depression a ready before pregnancy is more likely to get it. I wouldn't worry no more about it you will be ok, and if you do start to feel depressed just go to your doctor, and tell them. The first few month will b hard without sleep, but it is well worth it. Good luck!

Source(s): Mother of one.

dont worry at all, i have had depression since i was a teenager, and had kids a few years ago, even through severe post partum depression(be sure to watch out for this, it can honestly sneak up on you) most doctors are at a liability anymore to ask if you have thoughts of suicide or thoughts of harming yourself, that can be thanks to all the sue happy people, i have been seeing a therapist over a year now, and even though she knows im not suicidal or anything it is her offices protocol to ask their patients at every session as a just in case sort of thing, so i wouldnt get too upset over the dr asking you, the hospital just may have rules on asking patients, as long as you take care of your baby, and are not neglectful or abusive, there is no way they can take the baby away... congrats and good luck :)

• ?

in the event that they took each and every toddler removed from their mom that suffered from melancholy there may be alot of toddlers accessible that weren't with their organic and organic mothers. No, they can't do this, the father of the toddler is in basic terms attempting to scare you. flow to the healthcare expert and get some help now earlier your toddler is born. Your healthcare expert might refer you for councilling and or are able to prescribe some thing so you might take on your melancholy once you're pregnant and breastfeeding. you do not smoke, drink or take drugs, crying alot isn't against the regulation yet you do choose some help for you and so as which you would be able to watch for an outstanding destiny for you and your toddler. there is that this style of element as antenatal melancholy (earlier toddler is born fairly than afterwards) and that's extremely achieveable which you would be affected by this, with all diverse being pregnant hormones, the undeniable fact which you have not have been given plenty help and which you have low self esteem and not drowsing its no ask your self you're feeling depressed. Get help now out of your healthcare expert and ask him for referrals additionally for help communities and take a little time no count number how complicated to get out of the living house daily.

I don't think it will be pursued. I think the doctor would have been irresponsible for not asking you about these things since you have dealt with depression and your pregnant which means your hormones are probably running ramped. If he hadn't asked you about it and you had hurt yourself after leaving the hospital he could have possibly been held liable. I wouldn't worry about it unless you do feel depressed. Congrats on the new baby and don't be afraid to ask for help if you experience baby blues after delivery. It's important to stay healthy/happy for your baby.

Source(s): Diagoniosed with depression 5 years ago now a healthy happy mama

no, everyone on the face of the planet has depression of some sort at some point in time and undergoes depression, even if for a short period. i have depression and i am having a baby. they just offered the help with counseling after the baby if it gets worse. i wouldnt worry about them taking the baby, they cant do it especially when so many people have it.

Absolutely not.. don't worry about it.. in fact, many women CONTINUE taking their anti-depressents through pregnancy (with the advice from their doctors, of course).. You have nothing like that to worry about. There is nothing wrong with being overly protective of your little one and worrying about what will happen to baby when mommy is having health problems.. it's perfectly normal! I would definetly recommend changing doctors if that is the reaction you got, especially if they are not returning your phone calls! Good luck :)

No they have to have a good probable cause to even investigate. I was always emotional and all over the place when I was pregnant. That's how pregnant women are.... geesh! Just take REALLY good care of yourself and love evey moment that you have. Don't worry you and your baby will be fine!

No, not unless they have a reason to believe you will harm the baby.