Why does my Playstation 3 have a spot to create an internal memory card for PS2 games but I cant play them?

I have a 160gb playstation 3 and I can play psx games on it but not ps2 games. Doesnt make sense. I have the option of creating internal memory cards for ps2 games but I cant play ps2 games. Seems pretty redundant to me. Why can some ps3's play ps2 games but not others???

Favorite Answer

Because its not just for PS2 games. You use that same feature to create a PS1 internal memory card for PS1 games, so no, it is not redundant.

Sony removed the PS2 compatibility to cut PS3 production costs and make the PS3 cheaper.

mainly it was created when the Playstation 3 could play Playstation 2 games and the reason they are doing this is because in the future Playstation may offer PS2 games downloads for PS3 and there have been rumors that PS3 will be Backwards Compatible with a simple firmware update

Well you need to install the bios Flash from the PS2 and PS1 this will let you play the games on your internal hard drive. It is a little tricky but worth the time and effort.

Source(s): For more help Check out http://www.playstationpro.ca/