what are some good quotes from Catcher in the Rye about growing up or innocence"?

I have to find 5 quotes that relate to living in the past, innocence, not excepting growing up etc. etc. Please help

Favorite Answer

There are loads of possibilities in Catcher for that kind of stuff. Primarily, the book is about Holden's fear about growing up and the fear he has for other kids to lose their innocence as well. It's also about the fact that holden feels stuck between being a kid and being an adult, he doesn't feel like he's either one of them. but here's what i suggest:

Definitely one where he describes his brother who died, allie: Although Holden doesn't realize it Allie's situation is one that is ideal to him. Allie died young- before he could lose all of his innocence and is therefore remembered as always being a kid. Because holden is afraid to grow up and hates the corruption of innocence he always describes allie with perfection since allie never had to go through the pain of growing up and holden viewed him as a kid who he loved.

You could also use the quote when holden talks to the girl on the roller skates. Holden loves kids since they aren't phony and haven't been corrupted yet.

Also i would use the part with the carousal in it... i think phoebe is on it or something. At this point i think holden realizes that growing up is inevitable (unless you die young as allie did).

When holden goes to the natural history museum is good too. Holden cherishes the memories he has from there but doesn't actually go in side. This demonstrates how holden feels stuck in his situation- he remembers loving the museum but now it doesn't really appeal to him, so he doesn't go inside.

lastly i would just use the part when pheobe asks holden what he wants to be and he says a catcher in the rye. in other words he wants to save children from "falling" into adulthood and becoming corrupted.

i hope this helps Catcher is one of my favorite books. :]

Source(s): Honors English Sophmore year
  • eber

Catcher In The Rye Quotes

• Hi :)

Lucky for you I still have a packet on catcher in the rye quotes that I got last year! here are some of the better ones:

"What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff--I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all." -Holden in chapter 22.

"It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing every time you crossed a road." -Holden in chapter 1

"Goddam money. It always ends up making you blue as hell." -Holden in chapter 15

"That's the nice thing about carrousels, they always play the same songs." -Holden in Chapter 25

"...You'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry." -Mr. Antolini in Chapter 24

"All the kids kept trying to grab for the gold ring, and so was old Phoebe, and I was sort of afraid she'd fall off the goddam horse, but I didn't say anything or do anything. The thing with kids is, if they want to grab for the gold ring, you have to let them do it, and not say anything. If they fall off, they fall off, but it's bad if you say anything to them." -Holden in Chapter 25.

Ahh that was a lot of typing. Hope this helps!