Someone used my checking account to pay their online bill?

I just received my bank statement and I found that someone paid their VISA card online using my checking account (definitely identity theft). Can I find out who did this and how to get the money put back in my account?

Favorite Answer

Call your bank. file a claim. The bank will research your claim and

credit back your account. More than likely they will close your acct

and you have to open a new one, but all your automatic debits

and credits will go to your new acct. Believe it or not, this could be just a simple typing error and someone transposed the account #

but that's not your problem, call your bank now.

Source(s): Banker for over 25 years

You should be able to report this as fraud, and many banks will credit you back while they investigate and revoke it or let you keep it depending on what they find while researching. In the meantime, I would restrict/close the account.

What are they going to arrest you for? You paid for the items. The only reason i could possibly arrest you for is if the cashier lied and said that you and her planned this. As for you thinking it might have happened in the past i would doubt that. Items are set up somehow that won't allow them to be taken out the door without an alarm going off. This was how they knew you didn't pay for them. Be can of hard for them to have a case after you paid for them.

• got it

contact your bank, now!

Close this account and open a new one