Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

A tomato is a fruit..?

right? or a vegetable? or both?

Would I be wrong if I called it a fruit? This isn't a random question, I NEED to know for some homework I have. :P

Update:

yeah, so stop makin fun of me u e-crusher :P

Update 2:

e-crusher(zubayr) :: it's called summer assignments for smart kids so we can be ahead when school starts, don't worry, you wouldn't know...and this isn't the homework, 'to figure out if a tomato is a veggie or a fruit...'

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit

Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad!

BOO YAA!

• 1 decade ago

Botanically, a tomato is the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant: therefore it is a fruit. However, the tomato is not as sweet as those foodstuffs usually called fruits and, from a culinary standpoint, it is typically served as part of a salad or main course of a meal, as are vegetables, rather than at dessert in the case of most fruits. As noted above, the term vegetable has no botanical meaning and is purely a culinary term. Originally the controversy was that tomatoes are treated as a fruit in home canning practices. Tomatoes are acidic enough to be processed in a water bath rather than a pressure cooker as "vegetables" require.

Due to the scientific definition of a fruit, the tomato remains a fruit when not dealing with US tariffs. Nor is it the only culinary vegetable that is a botanical fruit: eggplants, cucumbers, and squashes of all kinds (such as zucchini and pumpkins) share the same ambiguity.

• Mintee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

anything that comes from a flower is a fruit..

and they all have some sort of sugar in them also, even though you cant taste it.. tomatoes are high in sugar..

a tomato, zuccini, cucumber, squash, green bell pepper.. all fruits.. (in the scientific sort of meaning) even though you'd probably say its a veggie.. ^_^

• 1 decade ago

Yes tomatoes are considered fruit so you are ok

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its fruit pakora

What homework.

12th graders dont have homework to determine if tomato is a fruit HAHAAAAAAAAA

wow pakora ! okay!

• Its a fruit

but u will never find it in a fruit salad

:)

Source(s): Its has seeds
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

anything which has seeds is a fruit, a tomato being one of those things.

• 1 decade ago

tomato is a fruit

• 1 decade ago

fruit

• 1 decade ago

thats true........

it's really a fruit, even it's not like other fruits. but it is classified as one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.