Is it cool to answer your cell at a restaurant during a meal?

I am amazed at the rudeness of people on their cell phones at restaurants. No less that 4 people answered their phones around me at a Denny's while having lunch. Maybe it's LA? Whatever. What do you think? Is it rude, or is it just the way that the new generation has grown up with this ever more pervasive technology??

Obviously, Tiffany, you are one of those "types" who thinks that it is your RIGHT to be on a cell WHEREVER you go, and everybody it irritates can go screw, because YOU are the most important person in the room, and people like me must be stupid not to know how important YOUR LIFE is...yeah, I'm the mean one, riiiight.

Favorite Answer

i live in ohio and every time i am in a restaurant and some ones cell goes off you hear "hello".....when i go into a restaurant and i put mine on vibrate and only answer it if it is an important call and if i do i step out side the restaurant....i don't answer the phone at home if it rings...dinner is family time....its really rude i think they need to have a law against using your phone while in a store in line waiting to pay or a restaurant

I would agree that while answering your cell phone during a meal with friends, colleges or family may be seen as rude or lack of manners (respect). Our current way of life dictates our needs to be accessible 24hrs a day/ 7 days a week. You will see that many times, while having lunch at a restaurant, people often conduct business "off the clock" Deals are no longer made within the confinements of an office or a board room, they are often done over the phone and agreement is executed with a simple push of a button, many times the end result could make a person wealthy or broke. It is sad, that our society has embraced this "new way of life" and along with it has brought new "acceptable manners" to our everyday activities that in the past were considered an act of disrespect.

I would say no. If you feel you have to (i.e. babysitter or child on line) then, it would be more polite to get up and head towards a common area before engaging fully in the conversation. Additionally, I have to take away my teens cell at dinner, because texting is also rude and annoying. In this age, it's so hard to live in the moment. Many times I wish I didn't have a cell phone. UGH. No, it's impolite, you are not that important, and whatever it is can wait. If it can't, you should have stayed home.

It's even worst when you see people getting out of their cars,and walk in the restaurant talking on the cell phone.They should finish their conversation before they enter the restaurant.Some people talk so loud on cell phones like the other person on the phone is deaf or something.I don't want to hear someone's personal business while i am eating.You can't even use the bathroom,without hearing someone in the stall next to you talking on a cell phone.

No. Answering your phone at a restaurant is tacky and rude. If you have to take the call, excuse yourself and go outside. Even and especially if it's an emergency.

Source(s): Manners that everyone should know

at a restaurant, at the bank, in line at the grocery store, on a train.

I am TOTALLY with you here. I am also a server. If I approach a table & they're on their cell, I walk away.

There's a sign at my deli "I will be happy to take care of you as soon as you hang up your phone"

You're too worried about your surroundings. Why would you think thats rude? People have important things going on in their lives. You just sound like a meany.

If they're not having lunch with you then it's non of you concern.

I think this is the rudest thing ever hit ignore people and you can always call them back !!

I at times think people do nto realize how loud they speak on their phones....it ruins lunch for everyone else around you.

No manners.I think it is rude.Dinner should be a quiet,enjoyable time.