What percentage of politicians do you think are really representing the American people?

What percentage of politicians do you think are really representing the American people?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

0%

every politician has to give up part of what they believe in to gain office. they justify this for what they call the greater good of what they believe in. look at John McCain, he voted against republican politics plenty of times until he was up for election. they he had to change things to get his parties nom. just the way it works. even the liberals golden boy barrack has had to go back on things he said to get elected.

• Joe S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There is no such entity "the American people". There are hundreds of millions of individuals. On some matters (national defense, for instance), we generally share the same interests. For most things though, we each have our own goals and ambitions. In voluntary society, we can exist peacefully with separate goals and only associate when we find common interests. However, in politics our different goals become points of conflict.

Politicians play our interests against each other. In a sense, no politician is for any single person. Only the most politically connected may begin to think that they are represented by politicians -- and then only those they have bought or otherwise controlled. The rest of us would do well to recognize the engine for conflict that is politics.

• Sara B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

most politicians are, to this day, white, straight, protestant (or increasingly evangelical), males in the top 10% of the income ladder (that might even be too liberal of an estimated percent).

the point is, most of us are at least middle class and at least half of us arent males, many of us are not white, and we have many religious backgrounds.

its not a very good representation, but for the most part, only those people can get the financing and backing to run for offices so i suppose its something we have to just wait to even out

• 1 decade ago

ZERO.....Their OWN interests come first!!! That was proven again when the Blue Dog Demos caved to Obama on the Healthcare deal...Obama bought them out...promised them major support next election and extras to their districts to boot!!! They are not representing their electorate...

Washington is a rich mans power house...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pfo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'd say around 75%. 3 out of 4 probably take their job as seriously as they can. You have to remember that if they don't cave to special interests to some degree, those special interests will make sure they don't get elected for another term, and that whomever replaces them will do their bidding. Where they can, I think they represent their people or generally do what is right.

• 1 decade ago

Honestly, probably 90% have the intention. Its just that 90% (of that 90%) fall victim to the special interest groups.

• 1 decade ago

I am guessing the number is somewhere like 2-3%. That includes both sides of the Isle, I am also including Mayors and Governers in this.

• 1 decade ago

<5%

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lol according to teh constantly linked rassmussen report only about 1,500 people in the work exist, thats where they get their self proclaimed unbais information for obamas approval rating from.

• Less than 10%. That's counting both sides.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.