Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

why can't husband keep his food in the plate?

every time we have a meal, the dining table looks like a pig barn, and I have to clean, get new tableclothes. I use place mats, still, there is food and grease all over the place. How come a grown man cannot exercise table manners? ps If I don't clean it, it won't get cleaned. His family eats like that, too. Is that nomal?

sory Slim, if I let my kids eat like that, and start using paper and plastic, we might as well head straigth for the trailer park

Favorite Answer

I was raised in a napkins in the lap kind of house. My husband apparantly learned to eat by watching animal planet. It drives me insane. Have his family over for dinner~ I might as well cover the floor in plastic. Oh, and he licks his fingers... I flip. If we go out to dinner I actually put the napkin in his lap. I don't allow my children to follow his lead. The cycle of lack of table manners ends here...LOL

It's amazing... isn't it? lol

• Margot

Didn't you know when you were dating him that the dining table looked like a pig barn after he (and his family) ate? You knew this about him (and his family) and you still chose to marry him. If you didn't want to be married to a slob, you shouldn't have continued dating a slob.

The best you can do is after the meal is finished, smile sweetly at him and ask him to help you clear the table. On a routine basis, my husband will not clear the table. However, if I ask tonight, he will clear the table tonight...and tonight only. No biggie. Asking the question took 2 seconds of effort.

EDIT: well, don't let your kids eat that way. Just because their dad is a slob doesn't mean that you cannot teach your children to use good table manners. That's all....maybe he will work on improving his table manners when he sees the lesson being taught to the children. But make the lesson about the kids and not his messy eating habits. Daddy is a grown-up and can eat as he chooses. The children have to follow your example.

could be a couple things. yes, table manners and second you may be a bit too compulsive about dining habits.. Based on the "Placemat" thing. Placemats wouldn't make it our house.

In our house, I have two teenagers, one son who has issues with keeping food on the plate. Eating is about eating in some households and not about the table service. But if you have issues with it, and feel like your cleaning up all the time sharing the responsibility of post-lunch/dinner cleanup should be shared..

Clear the table, clean the table, and use PAPER instead of cloth.

Sounds like it's normal for him and his family. Some people are just slobs. Maybe using a tablecloth for everyday dinners is an overkill? Easier to clean if you don't.

Not normal. Have you discussed this with him? Why are you using table cloths. You do know the table is usually easier to wipe down than the cloth?

If you get desperate (or just need to prove your point), do what my friend does with a her 1 year old. Put a shower curtain liner under his chair. Then you can just hose it down.

just bad table manners. If he was brought up that way, its going to be hard to break the habit now. Tell him how much you hate it and ask him not to be so sloppy. Probably wont work, but its worth a try.

• ~AK18~

Well didn't you notice this when you two were dating? Unless he covered up and ate like a normal person.. if that's the case, tell him he needs to put a little more effort into eating more neatly lol!

The /worst/ "that's disgusting" talks we've ever had was about how I ate.

I knew my manors were craptastic though.

Source(s): Been feeding myself since ~8yo.

It is not normal. You married a slob.

REPORTED!

just kidding!