Do you think homophobic people have a higher chance of actually being gay?

Why or why not?

Favorite Answer

Men, especially masculine men, whether gay or straight, tend to be phobic/aversive to other sexual orientations than their own. Gay men when shown images of naked women and female genitalia, and straight men when shown images of naked men and male genitalia, react with identical symptoms of strong aversion: dilated pupils, rapid heart beat, profuse sweating, dry retching, and inarticulate vocalisations. So no, homophobic men are not likely to be faking it. And neither are us sissyphobes and transphobes.

Do you think gay people have a higher chance of actually being homophobic?

I do know a lot of gay people talked bad about gays before they came out but they were not realy homophobic. A few friends were like that ... maybe to hide being gay themselfs. But no, not realy. There is a big difference between being insecure or homophobic

I think that some may do it to disguise their real feelings because like others have said if you are comfortable with your own sexuality then there is nothing to worry about. Those homophobic people think that lesbian/gay is something you can catch. Which is ignorant. Which brings me to the other point that, the other half of homophobics are just plain IGNORANT

Well, I've heard it's true, but I don't know of any actual studies. (and plus, how the heck would a study like that work? lol) It could be, though. People who are insecure about themselves tend to put down others to feel better about themselves, maybe it's the same with homophobic people. Maybe they have to "prove" to themselves or others that they aren't gay, by bashing other gay people.

Source(s): just my own opinion

Most people that claim to homophobic aren't they just don't like gays. Homophobia is the actually FEAR of gays. Not the HATE of gays.So I don't think homophobes are likely to be gay.

• me

No. That is really a myth. I think only a small minority of staunch homophobes are gay/lesbian themselves. Some people are just genuinely appalled by homosexuality.

I don't think so... I think it has more to do with how you are raised. My Girlfriend didn't even know that gays excised until she was in her late teens. My parents had gay friends when I was young and I grew up thinking it was normal. I came out in high school and my girlfriend was in her twenties.

Its possible that someone would act homophobic to try and convince themselves and/or others they aren't gay. Still its not so clear cut as that.

• sarah

Lots of homophobic people are bible beaters who think gays are burning in the fires of hell, so it isn't for all.

I think that may be true for some, though. Perhaps because they are uncomfortable with their sexual identity which is why they bash members of the LGBT community.

A great propotion of the time homophobic people are closet gays/bi's because they are not comfortable with there own sexuality.

Although for some its just a lack of understanding about it.