To leash or not to leash?

that is the question,

let thy strap a leash to thine child or let thine brat run free.

Favorite Answer

I had no problem leashing my kids, even through the remarks of treating like dogs.

Funny (not ha ha funny btw, odd funny) thing, when my guys were 3, 2, and 6 months, I was out w/a friend. My two older children were attached to their harnesses ( those hand ones were just a stupid invention, like a kid isn't going to simply detach themselves) while the baby was in his stroller. Her little guy was wondering free (no biggie, really) but while his mother, engrossed in our conversation, was not paying as close attention as she ought to have been (happens to the best of us), her little guy popped into a bush ( I was paying close attention, I am neurotic that way). I let him hide. A few moments later, it dawned on her she was not aware where her son was. She looked frantically around and then I pointed out that her son, who during one of her better than though moments while chastising me for "treating my boys like dogs" informed me he did not need one because he never wandered off. Anyway, I didn't have to give an I told you so, although, I know it was written all over my face and that afternoon she bought one.

Depends on where I am at and if shes sick of being in the stroller. I use one of those backpack type leashes where it looks like a puppy on her back and the leash part is the tail. My husband hates it but I think its good cause she can have some freedom but I dont have to worry about her getting away from me when she wants to be free of the stroller. Shes 19 months old.

• Faith

We used one with our kids in crowded areas like on vacation.

This was when our kids wouldn't sit in a stroller all day long, their hand could easily slip out of an adults hand (hands sweat and you lose grip).

So for the safety of our child we used a leash.

The lease we used was very neat though. It was like a child size fanny pack. They loved it and kept a snack in it or a fav. small toy. The leash part connected in the back around their waist. Our kids felt freedom walking on their own without having to hold our hands.

This when they were about 2-3 or so.

To let a young child in a crowded place would make them a brat (your statement above - let thine brat run free). They could get lost, get hurt or others could trip on them which is easy to do on a young child who gets underfoot.

Our kids never complained about the leash. Often they asked for it because to the girls it was like a purse and our son had a fanny pack like his dad's.

Once my son out grew the leash we got him his own big boy fanny pack with the lease attachment. lol He told us he missed it. ; )

Source(s): homeschooling mom of 3 - 13, 9 & 7

I won't leash my child. He can be in a stroller or a cart, or hold my hand.

Anyway, why use a leash when you have overalls? They function the same, and aren't reminiscent of a dog.

Source(s): overall grabbin' mama

I would never belittle my son by attaching a leash to him. He will either ride in the cart, or hold my wife's/my hand if we go out walking.

Leashes are for dogs, strollers and lessons on how to say by their parent's side are for children.

no leash. a stroller works just as good. if not better because it doesn't embarrass the child

sure long as thy can still get too the water bowl and kibbles. or teach it to sit/stay/trail/heal. CHILD leashes should be outlawed.

if ur going to somewhere like a crowded aquarium leash so he/she can rome but not to far and so he/she cant get lost but have fun

No, she goes into a stroller. She can't walk yet.