I want to be a pilot but will the airlines help me with license expenses?

I am going to uni and i plan to save the £7000 whilst at uni to get my private license.

but after ive left and gotten the private will airlines help me to get the commercial license? if so which airlines are best?

And is it too ambitious to think i can save £7000 whilst at uni?

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Simple answer is NO

    Right now airlines are laying off pilots not hiring so no chance there in the near future.

    In practice your best bet is the self improver route.

    Get your PPL first. Then get an assistant instructor rating and use it to gain experience and at the same time study for a twin engine rating, an instrument rating and a night rating.

    With these and at least 500 hours in your log approach the companies that fly mail or small air freight companies. A couple of years of hauling mail at night you might just have the experience that some of the smaller short haul airlines will at least talk to you.

    If you can land a job with a small regional airline they will pay for the cross training onto their aircraft type.

    A few years of that and if your good enough you might get to join one of the major airlines.

    It's tough and only the very best ever get to fly the likes of a b747.

    Whether you can save £7000 while at uni, who knows, but after 3 years at uni most students leave with debts in the order of £20000

    Ian M

    Source(s): I only got as far as a PPL
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Years ago, United Airlines payed for pilots with a private license to continue their education, through Multi engine and ATP. I don't know if any one is still doing the program I think you are on your own. Go get a good job. That's what most folks have to do.

  • T.J.
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    It's not likely that any airline will help you with the expenses to get a commercial license. About the best you can get out of an airline is them training you on their specific aircraft, but you have to have the minimum requirements to get to that point.

  • 1 decade ago

    Not a chance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.