How do I fix a leak coming from the bottom of my window A/C?

One day I came home and there was a puddle of water underneath the A/C. When I inspected it, it seems as if the previous tenant solved (or tried to solve) the problem by duct taping the bottom of the unit. Assuming that the tape had become unstuck (due to the soaking of it) I did a duct tape job of my own. However, that didn't help. When I was checking the underside of the A/C, where the leak is coming from, I noticed a brass rod with huge drops of condensation dripping from it. I stuffed a towel underneath to absorb the water, but they get over-saturated in a couple of hours. What is the problem, and is there a way to solve it without getting it professionally maintenance?

I just used a level to check the tilt, and it seems to be tilted properly.

OK, so I just checked the filter in front, and that does seem to be the problem. Thanks. But now what? The bottom of the filter is sitting in a pool of water. Should I replace the filter or is this caused by another problem?

Upon further inspection, what I thought was a rod is just part of what the unit is sitting ontop of (extending to the outside). The condensation is in between this and the bottom of the A/C. 1. I can see outside a tiny bit between this board (for lack of a better term) and the bottom of the A/C, and 2. if it makes any difference, the condensation is much heavier of the left side decreasing in amount going towards the right. Does any of this make a difference to the answers you may have already given (which I thank you for)?

Favorite Answer

It sounds like the A/C is sitting either leaning forward (Towards the inside of the house) or is setting level. This will cause the condensation to leak into the house instead of to the outside as it is supposed to. Take a level (Tool used to see if items are level or not) and adjust the level of the A/C to where it slightly tilts toward the outside and see if this dose not fix the issue.

OK, first of all, window A/C units NEED to drain! But they're supposed to drain to the outside! If you're getting water inside, it may be that the unit is sitting too flat in the window to drain properly. It should lean to the outside just a little. Reset the unit, and make sure it slants slightly to the outside. That should solve your problem.

Good luck!

Is the filter plugged. Check the filter in the front of the unit. If its tipped properly to the outside this is the problem.

• ?

First it has to be tilted to the outside.I bought a cheap funnel and screwed it where the drip is coming out and then put a piece of hose on the funnel and directed it to a grass area.

• imlyn

i think that's condensation. you could try to make it drip where you want to by tying a string and running the string where you want it to drip off.