baree33090 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Do all dogs have webbed feet?

I have two golden retrievers who were bred to be good swimmers and they have webbed feet. However, I also have two shih tzus who were definitely not bred to be good swimmers and they also have webbed feet. Does every breed have webbed feet?

Liz <3 - What breeds do not?

Yes, actually all four of my dogs have webbing in between their toes. It's not impossible.

Reika GSD - That makes sense, but what about shih tzus? They were literally bred to be companion dogs - not for work at all. Do you think it's just a retained trait from a more ancient breed?

Reika GSD - Ah, that really makes sense. I went and felt my dog's webbing, and you're right. The two shih tzus have webbing, but not much of it, whereas the goldens both have a lot of webbing.

• Reika
    Favorite Answer

Most of the breeds that are bred to work in and around the water tend to have fully webbed feet. Newfoundlands, Portuguese Water Dogs and Field Spaniels are among them.

The webbing is tissue that keeps the dog's toes closer together. That's all it is. They were bred for this trait. It allows them to do their original job.

Newfoundlands for example were bred by fishermen. They were designed to pull fishnets through the water and due to their webbed feet, they were very efficient in the water and could easily fight a current.

Some dog breeds that are bred to work in the snow also tend to have full webbing. The webbing keeps them on top of the snow. Quite like snowshoes. Often the webbing in between a sled dog's toes is covered in thick fur to keep their feet warm and dry.

ADD: While every breed of dog has connective tissue, a fully webbed foot will have webbing all the way down the toe. The difference between a breed of dog bred for the trait and one not bred for the trait is simply the EXTENT of the webbing.

• puga

Dogs With Webbed Feet

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/KvASp

webbed feet are a dead give away for labs (and most other water /retriever type dogs), the web feet as with ducks give the dog the ability to move through the water with ease and increases the speed of their swimming.it is normal and will not cause your pup any problems.

RE:

Do all dogs have webbed feet?

• a ☪

Hmm, I think all dogs do have them, just not as noticeable as a Lab's or something. Some have very small webbed areas and some have larger areas. But overall, I think all dogs have them because of their natural ability to swim.

Not all dogs do; my GSD/Rottie mix does not have webbed feet.

I think it's usually just retriever-type dogs that do, but I'm not sure. Maybe just some dogs do/some dogs don't.

Source(s): Mutt

no thats a lab trait.

• no no dog or cat has webbed feet its imposible

no