what type of surfboard should i get if i am a beginner?

i Have rented a surfboard once and was real suprised at how well i did. it was a 6'8" board. I am surfing in NC and the waves arent real big. i would just like to know what type of board and how long.

thank you

• John F
    Favorite Answer

Well, well, well. I guess you don't read any of the resolved questions, huh? This EXACT question has been asked about ten times in the past week. And, while it may not be the most popular answer, there is really on one correct answer, so I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting the same answer that I have given just a few times before.

Surfing can be great fun and provide a lifetime of enjoyment, if you take the time to learn the right way. Read the resolved questions on YA Surfing (and YA water Sports) and spend time talking to older, more experienced surfers and the industry professional at your local surf shops.

Now, for that answer: Lessons are the best way to start. Lessons can come from a professional instructor, or surfing family members or experienced surfing friends. You have to learn surf etiquette (so the experienced surfers in the line up don't want to drown you), how to paddle and take off on a wave, and how to ride a wave. The last thing experienced surfers want is for inexperienced people to just grab a board, rush into the surf and get in our way. Lessons shorten the learning curve significantly. And they help keep ignorant, un-prepared kooks out of the water and out of the way of more experienced surfers.

Although I am sure you will get lots of "advice" the real BEST ANSWER is to go to a good local surf shop and discuss your skill level, your size (your weight is very important, your height is fairly irrelevant) and local wave conditions with the folks there. they will give you much better info than ANYBODY out here in cyberspace. When you are finally ready, you should really think about buying a decent board, and avoiding popouts , and boards made in sweat shops in China, unless that's just all you can afford.

(Pohttp://bp3.blogger.com/_hPACOtZKKko/RkSTwhvv9kI/AA... cranked out in overseas sweatshops:

Why popouts (Like Bics) are bad for the industry: http://www.mckevlins.com/nopopstory.htm)%E2%80%A6

And don't forget, there are always used boards for sale in every surf shop. After almost 43 years of surfing, I still get my surfboard buying advice at good local shops in the places where I surf.

Anybody who would give you SPECIFIC advice as to what size or type board to buy on-line is foolish. Anybody who would take that advice is more foolish

And, I know there are lots of nice kids who want to share information with you on line. But don't take the advice from youngsters, who may know even less than you do about surfing, a surfboard is a big investment. I hope you are mature enough to read through the BS that lots of people throw at you on line. Don't waste your time on line, go straight to the source, a good local shop.

Selecting the right surfboard is part art and part science. Much depends on your size (height and weight), surfing ability, and the size/shape of the waves you ride.

To fit the surfer to a surfboard, the shapers vary the surfboard's outline, length, width, thickness, tail, rocker, material, rail, contours, fiberglass, and more to make surfboards that perform superbly for a variety of surfers in a variety of wave conditions.

The single most important factor when selecting a surfboard is choosing the correct outline – the curves of the surfboard as viewed from above. Secondly, it's selecting the correct size (length, width and thickness) to ensure the proper float. The rocker, tail, bottom profile, rail, etc are secondary considerations that are best left to the shapers' discretion and experience for all but the best surfers.

The surfboards listed on our site are made by some of the world's best shapers. They have carefully crafted their designs to reflect their years of experience and feedback from countless surfers. If you're not sure exactly what you want, trust the shapers and their designs. They are the best in the business.

http://www.surfboardsetc.com/index.html

Regards,

Surfboards Etc

Customer Service

www.SurfboardsEtc.com

Go to the surf shop to get your boards. Tell them your weight, where you surf, and your skill level. They will get you a good board that floats you well. Dont go online for advice for buying boards. Always go to the shop. Also avoid pop outs and buying boards online.

If you are surfing in Wrightsville Beach, NC, I suggest going to sweetwater surf shop. They are the best surf shop around. Surf city is the next best, but sweetwater has it all. Nice (and very helpful) staff, board, and everything you need.

You could start off with a soft board but I recommend you get a mini-mal. I recommend bic surfboards. I don't know your height or wieght but I suggest you should go for something within 7'8 - 8'0ft range. You should speek to the guys at your local surfshop and get a deal with them.

get a longboard.