where can i find helium?

im doing an assignment and i need to know where i can find helium as a natural element.

this is the questions.

where is it found and where is it most abundant?

the properties of this element?

how is it extracted?

the uses it has in society?

the advanteages and disadvantages of this element?

I really need help because my mum sucks at science. dont need answers just websites to help. but i really can tfind an answer to Q1, where to find helium besides a party shop

can u please read IT !!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Question 1: Helium is the 2nd most abundant element in the universe, which is quite odd to be so rare on earth. It formed when during the big-bang from nuclear fusion and radioactive decay. But being the 2nd lightest element in existence (next to hydrogen), most of it escaped earth from when it condensed. The rest are trapped beneath earth as natural gas. On gaseous planets however, like Jupiter and the sun, it is still a rather abundant source.

Now, on earth, the most abundant place of Helium is a natural geyser. After an oil drilling operation in 1903 in Dexter, Kansas produced a gas geyser that would not burn, Kansas state geologist Erasmus Haworth collected samples of the escaping gas and took them back to the University of Kansas at Lawrence where, with the help of chemists Hamilton Cady and David McFarland, he discovered that the gas consisted of, by volume, 72% nitrogen, 15% methane (a combustible percentage only with sufficient oxygen), 1% hydrogen, and 12% an unidentifiable gas. With further analysis, Cady and McFarland discovered that 1.84% of the gas sample was helium. This showed that despite its overall rarity on Earth, helium was concentrated in large quantities under the American Great Plains, available for extraction as a byproduct of natural gas. The greatest reserves of helium were in the Hugoton and nearby gas fields in southwest Kansas and the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma. And from then on, the helium was used to power many things such as aircrafts, to serve as a "lighter than air" carrier that decreases the overall density so it can float in air.

Question 2. Look that up in your chemistry book. 2 protons, 2 electrons, the most abundant form is Helium 4 (2 protons, 2 neutrons), it's a noble gas that has little reactivity, etc etc.

Question 3. Fractional Distillation - separate gases by temperature. Different gases have different melting and boiling points.

Question 4: Air balloons. Balloons. Parties. Aircrafts. Rocketry. (to allow the object in question to float. Remember that lower density things float on higher density things. The law that goes for fluids goes for gases, as gases as fluids in a sort except much more spread out). It's also used as a carrier gas for chromatography. Ask your teacher what that is and I'll be he or she will give you extra credit.

Question 5:

Advantage: Non-reactive. Non-toxic, little biological reactivity, and plus it won't react with things to blow things up.

Disadvantage: Non-reactive. You can't use it to power engines or as a source of energy. Energy comes from raising electrons to excited states. Helium is an inert gas. Also, helium has a rather dangerous thermal expansion constant. It means it will expand really fast (and yes explode if the temperature rises too fast).

And please look these info up in wikipedia.

• card

Where Can You Find Helium

• ?

Hmm well you could try starting off with the Wikipedia page for helium (if there is one). Some sort of basic chemistry textbook would help you a lot aswell (try including 'chemistry' in your search terms if it helps).

Actually yeah, I have my chemistry textbook open in front of me and it's rather helpful, you might want to try your local library. A general chemistry textbook would help, or even an encyclopedia.

Source(s): 3rd year Chemistry student at university. The textbook was an Inorganic Chemistry textbook by the way...

As I understand it, most of our helium comes from natural gas. If you do a word search on "U.S. helium reserve". That might help.

helium can be found in small amounts in air. It can also be found on sun itself with hydrogen.

Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium

helium can be found in the air... go figure that out...

In a balloon

In my lungs after I've gotten my hands on said balloon